Monday, April 14, 2008

Luke 7

Luke chapter 7 is packed with powerful accounts of Jesus' life, some teaching, and a parable. It is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible! The only problem I would have with this section of Luke would be picking an area to preach from on Sunday!

Luke 7 begins with the account of Jesus and the Roman Centurions servant. Jesus is contacted by the Jewish elders in Capernaum after they are contacted by a local Roman Centurion about his slave who was dying. The Jewish Elders ask Jesus to come and pray for this man because he has been a friend to their nation during the Roman occupation. When Jesus is on his way to the house to pray, friends of the centurion come to Jesus with a message from him. He sends the message that he understands the process at hand, and that it is not necessary for Jesus to come to him, just speak the word and the servant will be healed. The centurion understands chain of command, he believes that Jesus is at the top of the chain! The scripture says that Jesus is amazed by this insight and tells those following him that he has not seen such faith anywhere in Israel. I wonder 2 things when I read this. 1) Do I understand the chain of command - who this Jesus is? 2) What is it about me that "amazes' Jesus.

Almost immediately we find Jesus at the gates of the city of Nain where there is a funeral procession for the only son of a widow. This is significant in that culture because the death of her son would have been more than emotionally devastating for this woman it would have been financially and socially catastrophic as well. Jesus breaks all the rules of protocol and culture and religion and he reaches and touches the bier and calls the young man back to life! The crowds were all seized with fear at this and began to glorify God! I would think so!

Next Jesus deals with the disciples of John the Baptist and the crowds perception of John and Jesus. Jesus scolds the crowds because they couldn't be satisfied. John was too austere and Jesus, they say, is too liberal! Sounds like our society today in the church and outside her walls. What shall we fight over next - like the same children Jesus described and scolded,aren't we?

Finally, Jesus attends dinner at the home of a Pharisee where he is anointed by a woman who is a sinner. What sin do you suppose she is guilty of? I have often heard it preached that she was a prostitute, but I don't see that in the text. It simply says that she was a sinner, and later that her sins were many. Perhaps she was a gossip, or a miser, or ????. Does our presupposition about her sin say more about us than it does about her?

I believe there is a final twist to the parable about the man who owes little and the man who owes much being forgiven. I think it is an illusion that we owe different amounts for our salvation. There is, in my opinion, no hierarchy of sin and forgiveness. My sin cost the life of my savior - your sin, no matter what that is, cost the same. We are all deeply indebted to the savior of our souls and owe him all adoration and praise.

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, PB. Great post! Thanks. This chapter is so full of stuff and very diverse.
Thanks for shedding light on the chain of command - I was kind of confused when I read it as to why the man had faith. Now I realize, that he knew Jesus did not have to be with the man to heal him, just say the words. I hope to always see Jesus at the top of my chain of command; knowing that when I pray to him it means something!
Jesus brings a boy to life - I'm impressed. The testimony to those who saw must have been incredible. He "broke social rules" to do so, isn't it interesting what Jesus does when he breaks rules like touching a casket and "doing work" on the sabbath?
That lady who is a sinner - maybe our problem is that we have more in common with her than we'd like to admit - we're sinners like she was, so why do we judge? It really does say something about who we are and what we think when we give her "sins" that are not listed!
I really like the comparison of this parable to our salvation. People often say that they would be better sinning most of their lives and then finding Jesus' salvation. Kids often ask me why they shouldn't wait if the gift will always be there? Perhaps they are thinking they are getting more "value" out of Jesus' death on the cross by continuing to sin and waiting to ask for salvation. This is the thought of many, including those who are Christians who envy the fun of the sinners.
But then there's that whole "He will come like a thief in the night..." thing....
God bless all,
Marshall Bailey
PS. PB hope you're really enjoying your trip!

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Marshall -

The "wait to be saved" question has been presented to me several times and it has a basic "fatal" flaw in its logic.

Those who ask this are lost and blind because they are still spiritually dead! You enjoyed the Sermon on the Plains "Woe to you..." section, well it is a common prophet tool used also in Isaiah 5:20. In Isaiah 5:20 the prophet warns, "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight! Woe to men mighty at drinking wine, Woe to men valiant for mixing intoxicating drink," Isaiah 5:20-23

It seems to me their question is evidence that they haven't had their spiritual vision corrected, they still see evil as good and good as evil - or at least boring! Perhaps it is our task to demonstrate that holiness and relationship with a living awesome God is cooler than what the world offers!

Bill

mw said...

I love this chapter as well.

Obviously the centurion recognizes authority and understands that by simply speaking a command, things happen!

I have referenced this part several times during my prayers for other people.

Once a GI always a GI :)

If permitted, I would like to give my take on the "illusion that we owe different amounts for our salvation."

I agree with you - the blood of Jesus was shed for all of us, whether murderers, adulterers, or people with unforgiving hearts.

However, I can relate to the part asking who should be more grateful - the one owing less, or more.

Now agreeing that there are no absolutes, I would say the majority of people that sinned more often or sinned "greater" sins, would feel more grateful towards the forgiver.

In my case, once I fully accepted Jesus and believed He really could, would, will (and does) love me and forgive me, it was like a huge weight being lifted from my shoulders.

Satan has more weapons to use on me because of my past. Of course as he tries to take me there I cling to the Word - but because of all the idiotic things I have done, I DO have more to be thankful for than a lot of other people.

I guess if I remove the second borrower from the passage, and imagine one borrower owing two different lenders, he would be grateful to both of course, but MORE grateful to the one who forgave more.

I NEED to be more thankful than many other people - I know where Jesus pulled me from, praise God!

And so does He :)

Beth Quick said...

A very full passage indeed. I think I like the John/Jesus parts the best. I think Jesus is so right - we're never satisfied, I think, because finding something wrong with everything gives us an always-ready excuse for inaction. If no leader is right enough to follow, we're not responsible for discipleship. Something like that.

The centurion, having authority, recognized it in someone else.

We all need as much forgiveness as the woman, right? Complete forgiveness? But when we don't see ourselves as in as much need, then we don't get to feel the fullness of our forgiveness, and then we don't get to feel the full response of love we otherwise might...