Thursday, April 3, 2008

Jude

It is thought by some theologians that the writer of Jude was a half brother of Jesus. He is identified in the Gospels of Matthew and mark, and did not believe Jesus was the messiah at the time of Jesus' death. We are not told, but perhaps Jude came to faith through his brother James testimony or that of his mother, Mary. At any rate, we find Jude to be zealous now for the faith, a missionary and a preacher.

The purpose of Jude's letter was to speak against the notion that now that we live under grace, we can live in sin without consequence. Jude wrote to call the faithful back to holiness and to encourage them to expel the heretics in their midst.

I find great comfort and direction today in the words of verses 20 and 21. Jude encourages his readers with these words, "But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit; keep yourselves in the love of God; look forward to the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life." Jude 20&21 NRSV.

In a society like ours, so full of temptation and ungodliness, we will do well to heed Jude's call.

6 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, what a powerful message you highlighted. We have so much garbage to sift through in our daily lives, but we really need to focus on the Holy Spirit. I really like what it said in Jude about the people who doubt, and fall into sin. We need to help them, and make even what they were wearing clean again. I think there's probably some symbolism in this statement, as it surely goes deeper than the clothes that were covering the "sinful flesh."
I also really enjoy how this book references the old testament a number of times. It's great to have that in this crazy world - so many people say our bible is wrong, but look at how it references stories that other religions are based solely upon. It's all really important stuff in the grand scheme of our faith.
I also did really appreciate the way things are pointed out in this book that are not good to be a part of, and also ways people slip up. Sometimes we do need that kind of specificity, as we love to ignore things that may slip by.
I will continue to heed Jude's Call. Thanks PB.
God bless! Time for class!
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Go get 'em Marshall!

You are ahead of the curve now - signing in almost as soon as I post!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah - Wow. Couldn't have been more perfect timing today!
God bless,
Marsh

Beth Quick said...

Ah, at least soon I will be back on the same book as you are posting on! (I apparently fell even farther behind than marshall!)

I have to admire, aside from theological content, the literary beauty of Jude's writing. The imagery is intense and so vivid.

I'll admit I have not a clear understanding of angels, in biblical times, in this time, in general. I don't know what to do with angel-related texts except to remind myself of God as Mystery and think of unexpected ways God speaks to us. Jude seems to have more angel-history in mind than I know well....

mw said...

"6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day" (NKJV)

Are these the angels that left heaven to come to earth and be with humans?

"16 These are grumblers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts..." (NKJV)

The more I read about the power of the spoken word, the more I realize the stronghold Satan has over seemingly "harmless" comments, opinions and judgements.

I used to complain about work, the weather, and so many other things in my life. I didn't realize that negative seeds were being sown out of my mouth - not only to myself and my family, but also to the people I came in contact with.

It is a victory I can now claim, but I still ocassionally catch myself being tempted to respond in the natural.

Renewing my mind daily and having trusted friends correct me when I speak neagatively has helped and continues to help me in this critical area of my life.

Words hold the power of life and death - I have chosen life.

Thank you Father God.

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, MW. Your comments really shed light into how these verses can apply to our every day lives. Thanks for that.
Keep it up man, you're doing phenomenal!
Marshall