Thursday, May 1, 2008

Luke 20

Jesus' earthly ministry is almost completed now and the conflict with the religious leaders of his day heightens. They first confront Jesus and ask him by what authority he teaches. Jesus, in good rabbinic fashion, turns the question back on them. He asks them about the validity and source of John the baptists ministry and they reason privately that if they support John they'll be proven to be hypocrites and if they don't support John the Baptist the people may revolt against them and stone them to death! When they refuse to answer Jesus' questions Jesus says that he will therefore, not answer theirs.

Jesus tells a parable "against them" that is a thinly veiled review of the way the Pharisees and Sadducee's have dealt with Jesus. They are offended with Jesus and increase their determination to catch him in a capital offense. When they try to trick Jesus with a question on paying taxes Jesus brilliantly turn the tables on them by asking whose likeness is on the coin of the realm. They answer that it is Caesar's likeness and Jesus instructs them to render to Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. It seems to me that rendering to God all that carries God's likeness is fairly exhaustive work. All things are from God and belong to God. Everything.

As the chapter closes the Sadducee's try their hand at cornering Jesus with no more success than the Pharisees. Why do we so often try to our reason the creator, redeemer, and sustainer of all things? When will we simply surrender to His sovereignty and worship God alone?

5 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, great question to end with, PB. I've was kind of thinking the same thing as we read through this chapter. It seems like again and again, they really just try to test Jesus. I think this is similar to when we try to share our faith, and get the 20 questions every time we make a statement. As a Young Life Leader and a Camp Counselor, I have definitely experienced these things. I only wish could be quick and cunning like Jesus with my responses. As we people begin in the faith, or are considering it, they certainly do have a lot of questions. That's probably a lot of what these people were doing at the time, but they were also trying to trap my Jesus.
I really like the story in the middle of this chapter, where the chief priests understand that Jesus is speaking of these men, and they are angry, but know they cannot do anything about it. You ever have that feeling when you know you're wrong? Jesus has slapped me in the face before when I'm either doing something wrong or not putting my faith in him. I sometimes respond the same way as these people did, thinking, "nah... no way!"
Can't question this guy, he made the heavens and the earth and he knows the number of hairs on your head!
TTFN,
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Marshall,

Hey man - it's just you and me here I guess! thanks for being faithful and reading along with me.

See you soon I hope!

Bill
PS - how many days left before the big day?

mw said...

"All things are from God and belong to God. Everything."

Nice, PB.

I sometimes (too often) catch myself boasting or feeling pretty smug about an accomplishment...whether it is success in helping one of my clients, an argument I was able to settle, financial gain, a good night teaching my class, etc.

Then I remember that all these things are a gift from God, and I have no right to boast about something I received.

It is quite humbling :)

I suppose if you saw my face as the realization came over me you would ask if I needed medical assistance!

It scares me as soon as I commit that sin.

I am thankful the Holy Spirit finds me worthy enough to convict me so I can immediately repent and give the Glory where it belongs - to my Father in Heaven.

Oh when will I learn to just immediately give thanks?

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow 78 Days. I'd better get on that!
:-)
Thanks for your support and prayers!
We certainly missed you - but I'm sure you loved the trip!
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

I love the back and forth in this chapter - Jesus is just so clever - he could have responded in so many ways but I love how he beats his detractors at his own game. His doing so escalates his enemies into asking more and more ridiculous questions, like the one from the Sadducees.