Friday, February 1, 2008

Romans 8

Funny, as I sit to write this morning I feel an odd pressure. It's hard to explain or describe. I think I know what it is, but I'm not sure what to do about it save to acknowledge it and move on. Romans 8 has been my favorite chapter, or in my top 5 for as long as I can remember. If you drop my personal study / devotional Bible on its spine it opens to either Romans 8, John 14, Revelations 3, Philippians 2 or 1 Corinthians 13. I am a Bible nerd, and these are some of my best friends. Do you have a favorite chapter? Anyway, I am nervous because I am now going to write a bit about this text that is terribly important to me. Onward!

As I closed yesterdays post, let me remind you again that Romans 8 is best read and understood and enjoyed if you move back to Romans 7:14 and begin reading from there. With this running start from Paul's acknowledgement of his struggle with sin we plunge headlong into grace. "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." I could stop typing right there and leave you to meditate on that great good news. This changes everything for me friends. It may not look to others like I am able to always walk in victory, but in Jesus I move from victory to victory, from grace to grace. The last verse of one of my favorite hymns, “And Can It Be” echoes this blessing - I wonder if Charles Wesley was reading Romans 7 and 8 when he wrote these words:
No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him, is mine;
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach th’eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.
Bold I approach th’eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.

The next piece of this chapter that will stay wit me into eternity is verse 18. "I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us." A few days before my father died I was reading to him from Romans 8. He was so tired and so small. He had always weighed around 200 pounds, and he had dwindled to around 80 pounds. He sat in his chair by the wood stove and seemed to be asleep as I read. When I read verse 18 he stirred and looked over at me. I kept reading and he cleared his throat, kind of leaned forward and weakly murmured - "read that again..." I wasn't sure where he had engaged so I looked back over the text and settled on verse 18. I read the verse slowly and deliberately to him and stopped. He smiled, nodded his head, and leaned back into his chair again. His smile didn't fade for quite a while, and I sat beside him speechless and crying.

Chapter 8 ends with Paul assuring us that no matter how things look we are more than conquerors, and that nothing can ever separate us from God's love in Christ Jesus our Lord. What a wonderful journey of faith this chapter leads us on! From the assurance that in Christ there is no condemnation to the assurance that this worlds struggle pales in comparison with the Kingdom to come to the assurance that nothing can separate us from the Love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. I love Romans 8.

11 comments:

Lynn said...

Bill,As I read this chapter, I noticed that I had previously underlined several verses. I, too, love this chapter. Interestingly enough, the three verses you spoke of, I had underlined. There were two others that I also hang onto:15b & 16"but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father". The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children." And verse 26: "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness." With these five verses, what more could we ask for? Thanks for your leadership in this study. I have come to put it right up there with our Wednesday morning Bible study as some of the best times of the week.

Pastor Bill said...

Lynn,
Your encouragement and the encouragement of the others in our fellowship and now our expanded cyber church on line has helped me more than I can put into words. It all got a kick start with our Wednesday morning Bible Study and now has accelerated again with this study. I spoke with a fellow in our church family that wants to begin podcasting and or simul-casting our services as soon as the Gospel of John portion begins with the confirmation class. Pastor Dan Tablolt and I are planning to join forces in a Boonville Fellowships Academy in the spring to combine talent and leadership in our churches after Resurrection Sunday to offer a wide variety of Bible Study and life training opportunities. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again for your friendship and your help!

Bill

Abed-melech said...

Pastor, as I read your testimony I felt that perhaps I was robbed as a youth, 1st my Dad passed when I was in my early teens and 2nd I didn't know Jesus then either. This is why my children and grandchildren will not go through life unknowing the scriptures. I want my family to know that there is life everlasting through the "GOOD NEWS" and it is theirs to keep forever.

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Friend,
I say AMEN! to your resolve to show Jesus to your family! We can only go forward from here. I am sure you will show your children and grandchildren an example of a Christ follower that they will remember and talk about to their childrens children. Live faithfully today and all of the tomorrow's God has given us!

It is a priviledge to travel with you servant of the King.
Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

I just wanted to mention that I keep getting confused with the posting times - I think they're a few hours behind? I definitely posted at almost midnight last night, and I'm pretty sure Pastor Bill didn't post at 6am. Anyway, that's beside the point!
What a crazy day with the weather and everything today. Despite everything that goes on in a day, we can always settle down and enjoy our time with the Lord.
Bill, your insight into this chapter is both eye-opening and incredible. Thank you. Some of these familar verses in this chapter have always been my favorites also.
As a young man, I would have never seen verse 18 the way you had, as those thoughts are things that I don't usually think about. What an incredible verse for someone ending the earthly suffering. You and your father have helped me see this verse in an entire new light. Certainly makes me more excited for what's to come.
Verses 35-the end of chapter 8 really strike me personally. I've heard 38-39 many times before in my studies, but all these verses together really portray a powerful message; nothing can separate us from the love of God! WOW! What a promise we have in our Lord. When we're feeling like the world is in shambles, and so many things are working against us, we can always know that we worship a Lord whose love can battle anything...so no one can ever mess with it! Amen.
God bless you all tonight! Hope you really enjoyed the weather today ;-) and everyone was safe!
In Him,
Marshall (11:15 pm EST 2/1/08)

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Marshall,

The time thing is a mystery - I think the administrator must be in another time zone - maybe California?
Thanks for the encouragement on the blog post. We need eachother on this Bible study journey becuase we all have different experiances that are valuable to others on the journey.
"Nothing can seperate us from the Love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord!" is indeed a powerful point to keep in our hearts.
See you soon! - Bill

Karen said...

"I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us." As soon as I read these words again, I thought of our Dad. How blessed we are that he knew exactly what the words meant for him personally...and what peace it gives me to think of him having "the glory revealed to him."

" Nothing can separate us from the Love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord!"

One of my favorites too Bill...no matter how hard I might seem to TRY to mess myself up,there is Jesus...loving me!

Anonymous said...

Pastor Bill,

Romans what a piece of literature. Talk about a chapter being able to be disected a million differant ways! It almost gives me insight into the beautifull complexity of our creator, his awesome power, his omnipotance, but at the same time his love. But let me also ask a question. First, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."
but later in verse 9-11 Paul speaks about if you are in Christ you are controlled by his spirit, and he carefully distinguishes between death of body vs. death of soul. Then in 12-14 he speaks about our obligation to then live by his spirit. He also seems to making another promise in verse 13. Continue to live by sin and die or put to death the misdeeds and live. Clearly we all continue to sin in our lives,...but how do we balance the promise in verse one with the promised punishment in verse 13 which seems to be a warning to those that continue to live according to sinfull nature or return to a sinfull nature. So how to we rectify those two "promises" Is it as simple as the "heart condition"? I sthe key word nature, which would mean our default condition. If we are in Christ our default is his spirit? or does it mean somethign else?
Which leads to my next question ( I ask alot of them).
Could you also speak to our call not to judge (as discussed in Mark) but then how we are to rebuke. It seems to me that the nature of sin and the spirit within ourselves is closely intermingles with our call to fellowship with believers, and our role in helping each other with their walk. wow that is alot! Maybee this wil start a discussion

Pastor Bill said...

Jmac,
I will try to address the questions - keep asking - these are good points to work on!

1) First the discussion of salvation. I think sometimes we are confused by Paul when he talks about our salvation beause he uses the same word for the piece we call justification and the process of sanctification.
I believe Justification is irevocabel gift we don't earn and can't lose.

2) Sanctification is the process of growing up in our faith or as Wesley called it "going on to perfection". I think this sanctification part is what Paul is referring to when he speaks of God giving us over to sin. Salvation secure, maturity on hold.

3)In vs 15 Paul speaks of our salvation as adoption. He, as a pharisee or religious lawyer would have known the legal standing of an adopted child was actually stronger than the legal standing of the natural born child. A natural born child could be disowned and disinherited, an adopted child could never be disowned or lose their inheritance. Pretty cool standing for us adoptees!

4) I think this all comes back to your "default" setting language. We fall as justified adopted children only as far as God's lap!

Finally, let me speak to the judgement / accountable dilemma. I find it telling on some level that the favorite verse of past generations was John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not parish but have eternal life," and the favorite verse of this generation is Mark 7:1 - "Judge not lest you be judged." We no longer want to be held accountable so we hide behind this verse. I guess I believe both are true valid positions. On the one hand I am called as a christian and as a pastor to be discerning and hold people accountable. If we do not sound the alarm in times of trouble, the prophet says, the nations blood is on us! However, I am not the judge and sentence giver - only God sits there. I often jokingly remind people that I am in sales not management!

Sorry for the loong answers, but these are great questions! If my answers are not clear or complete, or if they make new questions, ask again!

Bill

Anonymous said...

Pastor Bill,

no your answers were clear and concise, so no questions ot follow,..anyway my mouth is still chewing on the food you just gave me!

thank you

Beth Quick said...

What a great chapter indeed. Thanks for sharing that about Grandpa - of course, I cried just reading it.

I like the section about the whole creation being in longing to see God's children revealed - I think that imagery is just beautiful. And of course, I'm not sure there are more comforting words in the Bible to people than the last section, knowing that God's love is something we can't be separated from.