Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ephesians 6

Tomorrow we move on to the Gospel of John, please read John 1:1-18 -- we'll finish the first chapter on Monday. John 1 is so thick theologically that I thought it was important to break it into 2 pieces.

Today we end Paul's letter to the church in Ephesus. Ephesians 6 begins with more conversations about relationships. In chapter 5 Paul spoke of husbands and wives, here in 6 he speaks of parents and children, slaves and masters. I am not comfortable with Paul's advice to slaves, but when we look at the culture of the day and Paul's presuppositions, we may understand why he says what he does. The cultural issues are probably obvious, but Paul's vision of the days he was living in may not be. As I understand it, Paul thought Christ would return to end his imprisonment and all other suffering at any minute. Paul encouraged people to remain in whatever state they were in and try to win souls by their gracious behavior. He even modeled this behavior as a prisoner and witnessed several of his captors coming to faith.

The next portion of chapter 6 deals with the Armor of God. This section is fairly well known in church circles and has been preached on and taught from a lot.
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power. Put on the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand therefore, and fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on the breastplate of righteousness. As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace. With all of these, take the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Eph. 6:10-17 NRSV
What a powerful word from the Apostle in Chains. I wonder if he was checking off the armor of one of the guards guarding him as he wrote!

Paul closes this chapter and this letter by encouraging us to pray in the Spirit at all times and to pray for him. I will close this post with his cosing benediction. "Peace be to the whole community, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace be with all who have an undying love for our Lord Jesus Christ." AMEN.

6 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

I'm so glad to have read Ephesians again, this time with you all. Each time, it brings out some new gold nuggets of powerful scripture.
Sara and I talked a lot about the slave verses. Slaves were different back then, and of course the context doesn't work in today's society. But what if he's speaking of being a "slave" for God? What an honor that would be. Maybe that's what he's doing, as he's in chains and preaching the good news with all that he has in him. God didn't keep us as slaves, because he gave us free will...but it does seem like we'd have less trouble if we were his slaves... As amazing as he is, I'd be honored to claim that title also.
Similarly, the relationship advice he gives for masters/slave owners can carry over into the work place, with teachers, or any other subordinate/superior relationship. Having a Christian relationship in all aspects of life is key.
The armor of God is awesome. I try to put it on everywhere I go, and when I forget a piece, it's often when I need it. In those times of challenge, I realize that I've neglected a piece of my armor. God's armor works together to proclaim the Gospel, and when we wear it, we can do anything. In the same way I put on my clothes, I really hope to continue to put on the armor of God in my life. With everyone getting so "offended" by everything these days, I'm often intimidated...but I know God doesn't want me to be. "Speak up, Marshall...you'll see why when you get Here"
God Bless,
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Marshall,
First, thanks for your faithfulness! I appreciate your faithfulness in reading along and posting here, but I am most thankful for your faithful witness for our savior. Thanks for being who you are!

Being a slave for Christ is the ideal way to live as a Christian. Do you know who Bob Dylan is? As a geezer I have to ask - he of course is the 60's singer songwriter with the strange voice (the voice thing was an affect, he really had a great voice but he heard a angry club poet one night and ...) anyway, he wrote a song called "You're gonna serve somebody" in it he says you might serve the devil, you might serve the Lord but you wil serve somebody. When I heard that song it became clearer to me that I will be a "slave" to something or someone. I chose Jesus.
Bill

mw said...

"...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God..."

I can testify to the power of God's word here (as if I need to add anything to Paul's writings).

I have been using a phrase that has helped me fend off Satan's suggestions for the last couple of months - with TOTAL success.

Satan has tried to get me angry at people and circumstances, tried to make me anxious, tried to get me to "take second looks," tried to get me to judge people, and what seems like a million other un-Godly thoughts or actions.

My phrase has simply been, "That does not line up with the word of God, so stop it NOW." I say it out loud and with conviction.

My personal testimony is that it has worked EVERY single time I have used it. Satan can not override the Word, so he immediately leaves me alone...until he thinks of a different angle.

It because of this blog and my daily renewing of the mind that has helped me realize the weapons we have against Satan.

Thank you, Pastor.

Thank you Father God!

Hoo Rah!!

Pastor Bill said...

Thank- you brother Mark!

Another approach that also works for me is I begin singing the name of Jesus and the power in His shed blood - I find myself able to move on to holy ground.

Onward!
Bill

mw said...

Yes, I have proof that my singing drives people away...I will try it on Satan next time :)

Beth Quick said...

The section about slavery is hard - Paul is clearly not advocating for abandoning the system of slavery, but what is important (in his time at least) is that he's reminding his readers that God sees no difference between a free person and a slave. That in itself was radical good news to a very structured society who would probably previously have thought that free people also got a better experience in the afterlife....