Tuesday, February 26, 2008

John 2

"On the third day there was a wedding..." that is how chapter 2 begins, but I immediately have a question. The third day from what? There are at least 3 "next days" in chapter 1 so it doesn't seem it can be the third day of the narrative. I guess it must be Tuesday!

At any rate, we find Jesus and his new disciples and his mom attending a wedding at Cana of Galilee. Cana is in the northern part of Israel between Capernaum and Nazareth (wanna go see it with me next February?). While the party went on and on the unthinkable happened -- the wine ran out. This would be a humiliating disaster for any new bride and groom, a disappointment to the crowds and a shadow over the beginning of their marriage. Jesus' mother calls his attention to the problem and he answers with a line that was acceptable in his culture but might get most sons in trouble with their moms. He says "Woman, what concern is that to you and to me?" The Greek word translated woman here is goonay. I remember that because when I first studied this carefully at 18 I was horrified that Jesus spoke that way to his mother. Obviously Mary did not take this as a rebuke or a slight as she turns to some servants and instructs them to do whatever Jesus asks. She was completely at peace and expectant here that Jesus would come to the rescue. And he did. The six stone water jars used for purification held probably held over 150 gallons of water one minute and choice wine the next. End of crisis, party on!

Many explanations of this event have been offered by theologians, some comparing the water of Judaism and tradition that Jesus was about to change into the new wine of the Christian era. Perhaps. But maybe it just shows Jesus concern and care for even the lesser perceived "emergencies" in our lives.

Next in Jerusalem at the first of the Passovers in John's Gospel Jesus cleanses the Temple. If this seems out of place to any of you - congratulations! When we read Matthew's Gospel just a few weeks ago the cleansing of the Temple occurred during Holy Week after the triumphal entry. Again, many opinions about this discrepancy. The other three gospels (the Synoptics) only have Jesus in Jerusalem for one Passover, and some theologians wonder if the other gospels included events from the probable three Passover visits by Jesus and the disciples. Another opinion is that there were two separate Temple cleansing events, one here at the beginning of Jesus ministry as an expression of prophetic enthusiasm and the second as an expression of messianic power.

As this chapter closes I am struck by a painful truth that John notes. John says that many believed in Jesus during the passover, "But Jesus on his part would not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people and needed no one to testify about anyone; for he himself knew what was in everyone." John 2:24&25 NRSV. I am thankful that even though Jesus may not be able to entrust himself to humanity, we may entrust ourselves to Jesus.

5 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

What an interesting passage. I think the day of the week is a possibility also, I thought more than three days had passed since the beginning of the chapter :-P.
I have studied the water-wine story many times, and have also used it in lessons a time or to. The kids cannot believe that water that was previously used to clean the nasty feet of people was now in the form of a perfect wine. Can you imagine the thoughts of those servants? "When this guy spits this up, I'm not taking the blame for it, I'm blaming that guy!" It does seem interesting that this was his first miracle, not like healing someone or something as he is commonly portrayed doing. It just goes to show you that Jesus was a pretty cool guy!
(the mother part has always taken the kids off guard also, but I try to explain to them the linguistic history...)
The different gospel translation thing is very interesting...whatever the facts, I sure hope Jesus cleanses our temple, every day of our lives.
God bless all, g'night,
Marshall Neil Bailey

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Marshall!
Always good to hear from you. I like your read on the servants reaction. I am so glad the God takes our junk and makes us blessed!
Bill

mw said...

I cringe when I read passages that state the disciples remembered Jesus teaching them a lesson and they didn't "get it" until after He was crucified.

I cringe because I wonder how many opportunities and lessons I may have missed while I was busy worrying about worldly things.

I love being at this age in my life - it is easier to slow down and reflect on the spiritual things happening around me.

I actually thanked God for hot water and electricity yesterday - something I have always taken for granted.

I need to find beauty and grace in all His blessings.

I don't want to "get it" later.

Praise God.

Marshall Bailey said...

Great thoughts here, mw. We do miss out on so much as we move so quickly. God blesses us in so many ways.
-MB

Beth Quick said...

I like how Mary responds - completely knowing that Jesus will do what she wants him to do anyway - maybe that's a typical parent-child relationship after all ;)

I heard a great sermon once focusing on that phrase, "filled to the brim," great imagery.

There is a sadness in Jesus not being able to entrust himself to anyone, isn't there?