Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ephesians 4

When a person reads through the book of Ephesians it might be tempting to simply plow through chapter 4. We just left the brilliant verses in chapter 2 where Paul explains the balance between grace and works. In chapter 3 we have the powerful inspiring prayer that takes us from the love of God into the blessings that exceed our greatest imaginations. It would be easy to slide through chapter 4 anticipating the discussion on submission that is ahead of us in chapter 5 and the armor of God in chapter 6, but it would be a mistake to overlook the riches of chapter 4.

How humbling to hear the Apostle in chains "beg" us to live lives worthy of the calling to which we have been called. It strikes me, because I fall short and beg myself to live up to the calling that is on my life.

One would not want to miss the list of the gifts that God has given to the church in verses 11 and 12. "The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ," Interesting that the pastors task is to equip the saints so they can do the works of ministry. This is not the model most of us live under for ministry.

The balance of the chapter is full of oft quoted verses. Most of them working to call us to a closer walk with Christ, a life of righteous servant hood. There is so much to absorb in this chapter, but the part that will stick with me all day is Paul’s begging me to live like a Christian. Lord, please help me!

5 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

I agree - Begging me, from chains, to be a sincere Christian. He knows how important it is, and so he makes a strong point of it.
This chapter is full of great things that are important to consider in our daily lives. In verse two, he says to be patient, bearing with one another in love, and in verse three, he says to keep the peace. Great things to do, but not always ones we remember. Think of how the world would be if we did!
There are so many different verses that speak to me and show me things that I have struggled with in my life/walk with Christ. Something as simple as not letting the sun go down while still being angry is not as easy as it sounds...and I swear, I try my best not to have unwholesome talk. Although we sometimes slip up, these kinds of things are what makes us stand out as true Christians, and Paul is helping us to understand what we must focus on to be disciples of Jesus. If we give in to these things, we are giving in to the devil, and that's just bad! God, help me through it - you always have and I know you always will.
His ending to this chapter couldn't be more perfect - as we all are thinking of the areas where we have slipped up, he instructs us clearly to forgive one another, as Christ also forgave us. The things we should avoid are clear, but the forgiveness is wonderful.
God bless, all!
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Well said Marshall! Perhaps with our own failings freshly in mind we are more willing to forgive others!
Bill

mw said...

Chapter 4 truly is a beautiful chapter.

Some of us with darker pasts may appreciate it more than others, though - after all, Jesus himself asked who would be more grateful, the one who was forgiven a small debt, or the one forgiven a HUGE debt?

Anyway, I always feel convicted when I read "that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting."

The reason I feel convicted is because everytime I pass by a new LDS building, I feel I let Christ down by not witnessing to those inside. I know they were tossed to and fro, and it is my responsibility to bring them to Christ.

I pray to be a vessel of the Lord every day - so others can feel the love and joy that I have found in my relationship with Jesus Christ.

Praise God for his blessings and patience.

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Mark,

You are a blessing and a vessle of God's love!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

"There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all."

As GC draws closer, those are words that I try to focus on - One. We're not very good at Oneness in the Body of Christ are we?