Thursday, January 31, 2008

Romans 7

I have read and re-read chapter 7 and I have tried to concentrate on the first 13 verses to talk about them. But because I suppose of my monumental struggle for last almost 48 years with sin I find myself undeniably drawn to verses 14 - 25 every time I read this.

Paul's language about the struggle of doing what I aught not do when I do what I would not do and do not do what I would do - or something like that - reminded me of several other famous quotes.
“To do is to be.” ---Jean-Paul Sartre
“To be or not to be, that is the question.” --- William Shakespeare
“Sho-be-do-be-do” --- Frank Sinatra
Sorry, you have a very weird pastor.

Anyway, Paul puts into words a struggle that I am painfully familiar with. Too often the good things I long to do in my spirit, in my heart I do not do. Also, the evil I swear I will not do, that I end up doing. Not always, thanks be to God, but more often than I like. Paul concludes that we are a battlefield, the spirit and sin, the Law of God and the law of sin. In a familiar desperation Paul writes (I hear him shouting in a broken heart) "Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" I know the desperation - do you? Paul's words could be our words. And his answer can be our answer! "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" Yes, thanks be to God! There is a savior who knows my struggle who provides for my weakness and loves me. The one who knows me best - all of the worst and the best - loves me the most!

As I close this note I want to remind you to re-read these verses tomorrow as you read chapter 8. These words are in my opinion a prologue for what is to follow.

7 comments:

Dr. B.J. Norrix said...

This passage is proof that St. Paul was a golfer. "The good I want to do I cannot the evil I wish to avoid is the very thing I do" sounds a lot like my golf game. : )

Pastor Bill said...

BJ - I have golfed with you. I believe you are going on to perfection, or at least par.
Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Oh sin, what's your deal anyway?
Pastor Bill - It's great that you're so honest. We all have our struggles, and God needs us to be honest (with him especially!) about them. He can help us through anything, if we just put our faith and our lives in his hands. Thank GOD for this.
I can't help but think about the first few verses and the marriage covenant that Paul speaks of with God. Sara and I will soon be married, which I feel as the most important decision of my life...but really, I made an even more important decision when I gave my life to Christ. Without him, I probably wouldn't even be making this decision! I know I was only 13 when I met Sara, but we're both convinced that The Keeper of the Stars had everything to do with it...
God bless all,
Marsh

Pastor Bill said...

I am glad that you measure love by the scriptures and not by our culture Marshall. The Bible offers us a solid permanent foundation where love is patient kind and keeps no record of wrongs. Our society sees love as carnal and disposable. I am glad to walk with you and I am praying for you!
Bill

Carl said...

Nothing, what a sweet sound to my ears.

Beth Quick said...

I'm drawn to the same section - probably we are because Paul so perfectly describes the human condition - I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.

This reminds me of one of my favorites from Isaiah - "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy?" God must wonder this about us often. I guess we want what God offers, but we want to try to get it our own way without getting it from God, even though the way God offers it is as a free gift. We just don't like that discipleship bit ;)

Pastor Bill said...

I would think that aftr being 86,924,987,205 attempts at doing things my way (today, and its still early) and having the exact same number of failures I might try it God's way! The human condition is powerless against the law, or at least pitiful.
I think as we follow through the end of 7 and into 8 Paul sees the answer as life in the Spirit. I've been walking this raod a long time, and I should be further down tha road than I am!
Bill