Wednesday, February 27, 2008

John 3

I am tempted to just cut and paste chapter 3 here and let it speak for itself. This is such a powerful text, and probably carries more baggage and prejudice than almost any other in the Bible. Nicodemus comes by night to see Jesus. Some think he came under the cover of darkness out of fear of political loss for being seen with Jesus. I wonder if he came at night because both of these men were so very busy that this was the only available time to sit together in peace and quiet to talk of deeper theological issues.

In John's account of the meeting Nicodemus starts out with a conciliatory tone complimenting Jesus, and calling him Rabbi. Jesus jumps right in and throws down a theological proposal for Nicodemus to respond to. "Very truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above." John 3:3 NRSV Jesus restates this in vs. 7 "Do not be astonished that I said to you, “You must be born from above." In both of these instances the word "you" is plural and refers not to Nicodemus but to all of us, and the phrase "born from above" from the text is most commonly translated "born again". This is the phrase that is thrown around and abused frequently in churchy circles and, in my opinion, produces more heat than light. Several years ago one of the convicted Watergate conspirators Chuck Colson wrote a book about his spiritual journey during his imprisonment. Mr. Colson entitled the book, "Born Again". I heard him on the Larry King show a little while after the book was published and I smiled at his new insights. He said that when he wrote the book he had no idea how "loaded" the phrase born again was, and that if he had known the strong emotions and opinions that surrounded the phrase he would have selected a different name for his book! He went on to say that in his naiveté and zeal this phrase just seemed a natural explanation for what he had experienced in his relationship with Jesus. I am so saddened that this phrase has been politicized and perhaps diluted over the generations because it is my opinion that it is theologically and experientially the best terminology to articulate the experience of being found by God in Jesus Christ!

The teaching session continues with Jesus unpacking the concept of being born again or born from above. The record of this exchange includes the most familiar text from the Bible, John 3:16. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life." I have found that people almost universally know and respond to this verse. And why not! It is a sermon in less than 30 words. God loved, God gave, God saved.

How have you dealt with these verses in your spiritual journey? Do you treasure them and cast your life into them, or do you discount them and cast them from your life? They have been, for me, the foundation for who and whose I want to be.

4 comments:

mw said...

This chapter is awesome!

I have always enjoyed the Nicodemus story. He didn't put on an air and look down his nose at Jesus or challenge Him and His teachings.

He humbled himself and asked questions to gain insight into Jesus' ministry.

He didn't try to trick, deceive or challenge our Lord like the other leaders - he was seeking truth and knowledge.

As dor John 3:16, it is one of my absolute favorite verses.

I recite this verse anytime I see the clock hit 3:16.

I always chuckle, because it happens so often that I feel God or the angels are telling me to look at the clock at that moment.

I know there are no watches in heaven, but if I could take mine, I would have it permanently set on 3:16!

"He must increase and I must decrease" - I need to remind myself of that everyday - like Paul's statement about dying to himself every day.

And if I may make one more observation, I LOVE the part where it says that "God does not give the Spirit by measure". He pours it out.

We either have it or we don't - God is no respector of persons...His grace is for ALL who accept His Son.

Amen and Hoo Rah!!

Marshall Bailey said...

John 3. What a chapter. I agree with you Pastor, this passage can really speak for itself. I've been hesitant to comment on it.
John 3:16 has changed my life. It's one of the first verses I memorized after I gave my heart to Christ, and it's one that I'll never forget. Sermon is less than 30 words, no joke! How incredible are these words.
The born again thing is rough for me too. Sara and I were having a serious discussion about the "born again" phrasing as we discussed this chapter. She and I have both had experiences where people have walked up to us and asked us if we were born again...
At these points in our lives, we didn't really know what that phrase actually meant, but had heard some of the social/political/whatever discussions of it. The person then continues, "You know the only way to heaven is if you're born again." To that we said, what?! We both have since had that cleared up, which is great, but honestly, WE HAVE been born again, and it's been incredible. Jesus has come into our lives and made them completely different, better, and more fulfilled. We, too, wish that this phrase could just be what it is - incredible.

These verses our life changing, and I hope to always treasure them. I know, John 3:16 I have always treasured. MW, I love your clock thing...I've noticed that a lot too. God wants us to know he's there!
God bless all,
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

Hm. I like John 3:17 too - I wish we'd add that to our memorization of v. 16. I had never understood the whole serpent/Moses thing until I read a commentary directing me to the passage in Numbers where Moses makes a bronze serpent. Not a story I was very familiar with!

Are verses 31 and on just the author's commentary? John (the author) seems to do more of his own commentary than any of the other gospel writers, yet another thing that sets him apart.

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah - I agree. 17 is great too. I'll add memorizing that to my list of things to do soon.
Marsh