Friday, February 29, 2008

John 5

Jesus is in the temple in Jerusalem on the Sabbath where he comes across a man he has probably seen many times before. The man had been ill for 38 years and had coming to the pool called Bethzatha near the Sheepgate for a long time. Jesus had probably been to the temple hundreds of times in his 30+ years of life and had very likely seen this man many, many times. On this day he asks the man what may seem an obvious question, Jesus asks "Do you want to be made well?"

As obvious as the question seems, the man’s answer betrays what Jesus may have known in the spirit. Instead of an immediate response of "YES PLEASE!!!" that one might have expected the man begins a litany of all of the reasons he could not, had not been made well in the past 38 years.

This exchange made me think about the areas of brokenness in my life. Things I have either struggled against or made peace with over the last 38 years or so (OK OK - 48). When Jesus confronts us and asks "Do you want to be made well?" how do we respond? Do we jump up and say "YES LORD!!", or do we begin the whinny explanation of why our brokenness is insurmountable. Am I; are you comfortable with your sin, your sickness, your brokenness? Do I want to be made well? Do you?

4 comments:

mw said...

I can remember not wanting to be made well -there were many areas I wanted to improve, but there were still too many I did NOT want to improve.

I allowed my flesh to control me instead of my spirit.

The excuse I made was "I had plenty of time left in my life - I wanted to enjoy myself for a while longer."

Obviously the reality is that I have enjoyed myself (and life) more after "being made well" than I ever did before.

My relationship with Jesus has made me well.

I only wish I would have asked Him earlier - but again, I know His timing is perfect.

And I am JACKED UP about our relationship and the plans He has for me to help His kingdom grow!

Hoo Rah!

Pastor Bill said...

Mark,

Move around and sit in different areas of the sanctuary during different worship services each week - i am hoping you are contagious!

Love Bill

Beth Quick said...

Do you ever read a chapter of the bible and feel like you've never laid eyes on it before? I feel like I've never noticed this chapter before, especially the later part.

"‘You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that testify on my behalf. 40Yet you refuse to come to me to have life." - I think that's an interesting verse. It reminds me of my mom liking to say that you wouldn't sit and read love letters from someone if they were knocking at your door - you would get up and answer the door. Something like that.

Marshall Bailey said...

This is such an incredible story. Bill, when I read your post, it was the first time I had thought about the fact that Jesus may have seen this man before. So many of the stories of Jesus doing miracles and stuff seem to have people meeting Jesus for the first time, so I guess I was in that mindset.
Can you imagine sitting in one place for 38 years, unable to get up? Sara used this story in a Young Life club talk. At the time, one of the Young Life kids had sprained his ankle and she asked the kids to think about him laying on the volleyball court where he sprained it for 38 years waiting for help to the hospital. All the man in this story could think about was the fact that he could not make it to the pool after it was stirred faster than the others who were more able than he. We become so narrow minded in the way that we think about what we need to do sometimes, that we often miss the point.
As onlookers, the question “do you want to get well” seems so simple – duh, “yes, of course!” For him, he couldn’t see beyond the pool, or who he was talking to.
We use this story very frequently with the Young Life kids, and they always seem to respond well to it. High school kids are often searching for someone to ask them if they want to get well – but the only person who is really offering it is Jesus. When we ask them, they ponder and ponder of the idea of someone caring so much. It’s a great way to help show them the gift that God has to offer.
It’s really crazy how this story ends – WHY ARE YOU CARRYING YOUR MAT? “Oh, sorry sir, I forgot the rules. This is pretty much the first time I’ve walked in 38 years…thanks for your concern though!
Jesus is so amazing – he could have just said “you are healed,” but instead he used his own pizzazz and made it an even more exciting story to tell. That’s the kind of control the God of the universe has – complete, incredible control.
God bless!
Marshall