Friday, February 15, 2008

Ephesians 2

Before I begin, let me offer a word of warning to those of you that will be journeying together through the year on this site. I will often identify portions of the scriptures we read as "My favorite" or "one of my favorites". Don't get distracted or put off by the redundancy of this. I can't help it, I really love all of this material -- it has been life giving and life changing for me.

With that disclaimer in place I have to say that Ephesians 2 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. For me, Paul makes the point crystal clear here that our salvation is not a result of good works or keeping the law, but it is a free gift from God!

Paul starts chapter 2 by defining the problem, namely we are dead through the trespasses and sins in which we once lived. DEAD, not just inconvenienced, not just a little head cold, dead. In verse 4 God comes to the rescue! "But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ — by grace you have been saved..." Eph. 2:4-5 NRSV WOOOOO HOOOOO!!! That's great good news isn't it? I can't wait to preach on this Sunday! When we were dead God by God's great mercy and love made us alive together with Christ!

Paul reiterates this great gift in verses 8 and 9 when he writes these words, "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God — not the result of works, so that no one may boast." I get so excited when I read these verses. They point me to a God who is a lover and provider not a rule keeper and a judge. By grace through faith - wow.

There is more to this salvation piece than just not being dead anymore though. The next verse tells us that God has a plan for us now that we are brought from death to life. "For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life." Eph. 2:10 NRSV I always see the good works that we do as the fruit of the seed of grace. When a bulb or seed is planted it is planted so it will grow up and bear fruit. Our salvation plants in us a purpose that was prepared for us by God! Do you know what that will look like in your life yet? Don't be discouraged if the answer is "no, not yet." Pray and seek and God will reveal the task that you are uniquely prepared and gifted to do.

In the balance of chapter 2 Paul reveals Gods plan to unite the Gentile and Jewish people into one family all coming together in Jesus. God comes to make peace between the Jew and the Gentile calling and redeeming all of God's children. What great good news indeed. It's no wonder this is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible.

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Bill, it's wonderful that you're so passionate about this chapter - it is a great chapter. It's nice to share this kind of excitement about the Bible, instead of a sporting event or something :-P.
We talked a lot about the fact that we were DEAD in sin when I was a camp counselor at Aldersgate in 2006. Our theme was ALIVE so it was totally appropriate to discuss where we had come from! What a wonderful gift - each week we had Easter on Wednesday, to celebrate our becoming Alive in Christ, which is a lot of what Paul talks about here.
You said so many great things, and you cleared up a lot in this chapter to make it even better!
The last few verses are really cool also. We live in God's house, which is built on the apostles and prophets, having Jesus as our cornerstone. If that is the way we built all our homes, schools, churches, and lives, our world would be a much better place. Guess we'd better keep trying to make it/keep it that way!
God bless,
Marshall

mw said...

After your sermon yesterday it seems futile to say anything other than you nailed this chapter!

And I will make a deal with you - I will overlook your repetitive claims for so many favorite chapters if you forgive me for frequently repeating "that was the best sermon ever!"

You were so full yesterday, and it filled us as well. Thank you for being such an awesome vessel of the Holy Spirit.

To add a personal touch, I especially appreciate the statement on once walking according to the course of this world.

Before my personal relationship with jesus Christ, I walked both sides of the fence without realizing it, or possibly being convicted for it.

Once I truly accepted the Lord and opened communications, I realized some of the paths I took conflicted with the Word.

I strive for a walk and lifestyle characterized by good works and being worthy of my calling.

I do strive to walk in love, in light and in wisdom as directed.

I still struggle with the basics at times, but I find myself surrendering to the flesh less and less - and I have discovered that by renewing my mind daily I can overcome petty jealousies, anger, and impatience so much quicker.

I break through the obstacles Satan places in front of me quicker now because I have been warned about his methods - I start to experience anger, I recognize where it is coming from, I repent, ask for strength, and praise God for being inside me. (I can't explain the rush I feel from overcoming these attacks)

Anyway, your sermon was awesome - and we are praying for your dog as well!

Hoo Rah!

Beth Quick said...

I love this chapter too - especially the second section, vs. 11 and on. I used this as a focus when I led worship at the School of Christian Mission two years ago. I love: "So he came and proclaimed peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near," and the imagery of Christ knocking down walls of division that we work so hard to build up between us. Jesus does that by brining all of us near to the heart of God, so we're all in the same place where it matters.