Thursday, February 28, 2008

John 4

The account of Jesus interaction with the Samaritan woman gives us a glimpse into the person of Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus was traveling with his disciples on their way to Galilee. They are just passing through Samaria and the disciples go into town to get provisions for lunch. Jesus is left alone outside of the village beside a well when a woman from the village comes to draw some water. This is the wrong time of day for a woman to be coming to get water - generally that task was done early in the morning. Perhaps she came at this hour to avoid the other women, but she did not avoid the lover of her soul.

She is surprised that Jesus even speaks to her, let alone asking her for a drink. All of these behaviors were socially unacceptable and would have made Jesus "unclean" according to Jewish law. As their conversation continues Jesus first reveals her to herself and then reveals himself to her. Interesting that this outcast among outcasts is the first person that Jesus reveals his messianic identity to, and also the first person to go out as a missionary to her people. Jesus encourages the disciples to look beyond their prejudices to see that the fields were white for harvest. Apparently Jesus and the disciples stay here with the Samaritans for an extended mission - verse 43 oddly picks up the narrative with the words "When the two days were over, he went from that place to Galilee." John 4:43 NRSV. Where did Jesus stay, what did Jesus do, how many Samaritans were touched, all of these questions are left unanswered.

Jesus apparently lingering for days with the "unclean" Samaritans is contrasted by his unwillingness to go to the home of the official at the end of chapter 4. The official comes begging Jesus to come and touch his child, but Jesus sends him on his way, albeit with the assurance that his son will be healed. The officials home must have been a significant distance away, as the next day on the mans journey towards home he is met by slaves from his home carrying news that his son has recovered. After doing the calculations the official realizes that the boy recovered at the same time he had received the assurance from Jesus.

As I read this chapter it reminds me that Jesus seems to prefer broken people. He tarries long with the outcast and the poor resting in their midst. Yes, he provides for all rich and poor alike, but he seems to find his home most quickly with those whom the world would disqualify. Where and with whom are we most comfortable friends?

9 comments:

Abed-melech said...

Hello......seems lonely here the last two days. I have a question on John. I have been reading history on John and noted that the catholic writings show John with an eagle at his side. In the book of Apocalypse [revelations] John is depicted as an eagle. I need to know where this thinking comes from. Hopefully someone can give me a answer. The reading is going fine I love to read the bios on the people Jesus met in His ministry.

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Servant of the King!

It has been quiet hee the last couple of days - I hope it means this all is too easy and not that people have stopped reading!
I looked up some information on John the Apostle and eagles. I confess I had not noticed this myself but I found some information in Wikipedia. Here it is:
"Eagle lecterns are very common in Christian churches and cathedrals. The eagle is the symbol used to depict John the Apostle, whose writing most clearly witnesses the light and divinity of Christ. In art, John, as the presumed author of the Gospel, is often depicted with an eagle, which symbolizes the height he rose in the first chapter of his gospel." and under eagles:
"According to some Christian traditions, the four evangelists are connected to the four living creatures of the Apocalypse, with John represented by an eagle. It is possibly also a reference to the height that John achieved when writing John 1." Wikipedia
see also: http://www.durand-gallery.com/exhibitions/stjohn.html

Bill

Pastor Bill said...

Another web site has a picture of the "Evangelists Cross".

http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/evangelists.html

This speaks of the Evangelists Cross where the 4 Gospel writers are depicted as the 4 living creatures of Revelation. I have no personal opinion or understanding of this Abed-Melech, but it is some research that may answer your question.
Bill

Abed-melech said...

Pastor Bill, I am finding that the WWW can be an informative and confusing place to play [research]. I recently started reading a book by Ace Collins entitled " Stories behind the Traditions and Songs of Easter". The author uses many terms/ references that I have never encountered. The web can be very helpful in the understanding of the authors writings. Thank-you for helping me understand John the Apostle. I bid you farewell until the next visit, and I will remember you when I read John 10: 14-15.

Lynn said...

Pastor Bill, In reference to your comment on "Jesus seemingly preferring broken people", I would suggest everyone to read 2 Corinthians 12: 1-10. It is today's "Upper Room" devotional. In it Paul had asked God to take away the thorn in his flesh. "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'" (Verses 8&9) I think this is a great explaination and verification to your comment.

Pastor Bill said...

Thanks Lynn,

I know that these broken places kep us from being self sufficient and being our own god. I need to be more loving and patient with others on this journey!

Bill

mw said...

I know it has not always been pleasant having Jesus reveal myself to me, but I sure have enjoyed the growth that has come out of it.

I need to be convicted until all the darkness is erased from my heart - the known and the unknown.

Thannk you Lord for the patience and love to cleanse me and teach me!

Marshall Bailey said...

Can you imagine being that Samaritan woman? My goodness, I'd be freaking out. For someone to ask me to get them water when I knew they shouldn't, and the follow it up by telling me that I'd never be thirsty again if I drink water from him, and THEN tell me my whole life story just in case I didn't believe him yet? I can just imagine something like that happening to me - someone I've never seen before comes up to me and says "You live on Silver Spruce Circle, you drive too fast on the way to school, and you drink too much Mountain Dew...but you have a wonderful passion for people" or something like that... WOW would I be shocked! The same MUST have happened with her when he explained her husband situation to her! As if that wasn't enough, he made sure she knew he was real by saying in 26 Then Jesus declared, "I who speak to you am he." heh...good ol' Jesus.
What a story also - too good to be a coincidence that the boy was alive and well right at the exact point that Jesus told the man he would be. This reminds me of times in my life when I've had to put my thoughts aside and give God credit for things that I may have otherwise seen as "coincidence."
My pastor always starts church off by saying "You are not here by chance or coincidence but by faith." That's always stuck in my mind when I go to church. With God, things happen for a reason!
I think it's incredible that Jesus hung out with the broken people. In Young Life, I try to seek out those people, and in my classes too. God has given me the unique opportunity to be who I am, and I can't take that for granted. People need the Lord, and people need love and compassion. Together, me, Jesus, and the rest of his disciples can change the world!!!
AMEN.
-Marshall

Beth Quick said...

John makes sure to note that Jesus isn't the one doing the baptizing - interesting.

This text was just up in the lectionary - "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to complete his work" is the verse that most stuck with me. We're fed by doing God's will - but so often we try to fill ourselves up other ways...