Friday, February 8, 2008

Romans 13

Paul's call to us in the first 7 verses of chapter 13 reminds me of some wisdom shared by my brother in Christ, Jeff Graver. Jeff had just completed a study of the book "Under Cover" and shared the thought that submission doesn't even begin until we disagree with those in authority over us. When we hit the point of tension and decide to stay in covenant relationship we enter into a new level of commitment to each other. This concept has been bouncing around in my brain for the past several months. There is something sacred and precious about choosing to stay in relationship and submitted to authority when it is uncomfortable.

The verses about love fulfilling the law are brilliant. I remember when I first began to consider this - that to truly love would keep me from sin - it was revolutionary. We put together volumes and volumes of legal wrangling to summarize this simple thought. Love God, love neighbor. Love.

When I was at Houghton College I had a fiend who would often shout to his friends - "It's later than it's ever been before!!!" I think Paul is reminding of that as chapter 13 closes. I like the call to "put on the armor of light" and "put on Jesus Christ" and make no provision for the flesh. How often do you plan ahead and make provision for sin? Well, cut it out!

6 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Yet another great chapter.
I like the first section, because it's another one to use with the kids: "Yes, I know the rules may seem silly, but is says right here that we are to follow them according to God..." not only because it's the law, but because we also have a conscience. It'd be nice if we always listened to it...
Love is what the answer is, as always. If we loved all our neighbors we wouldn't have war and we wouldn't have so many people mad at each other. It's really a sad situation. Paul hit the nail on the head when he tells of how this attitude could change the world.
I would love to clothe myself with Jesus everywhere I go. He's a great person and definitely a relationship to be proud of. I wish I could be a little less timid about it. Who I am is very different because of my relationship with Jesus. I am not like most people I know in many regards, because of Jesus. It's amazing, and it's noticable, and I could not be more proud...I just know I could show it a little more.
Could we all?
In Him,
Marshall

Carl said...

How does submission and obedience fit into this picture with an authority that is against God?

Pastor Bill said...

I wrestle with when to disobey authorities - I find an example in Acts 4:20. When Peter and John were ordered not to teach or preach in the name of Jesus they respond, "Whether it is right in God's sight to listen to you rather than to God you must judge, for we cannot keep from speaking about what we have seen and heard."

So we have an example from Peter and John to obey God and disobey civil authorities - but we had better be very careful not to just follow our own whims.

Bill

mw said...

The armor of light...what a difference this has made in my life the last couple of years.

Calmer, more relaxed, slower to anger, not so judgmental, more forgiving, quicker to love and eternally blessed.

The difference between being saved and having a relationship with Jesus Christ - putting on the armor of light. Looking to Him first in everything.

Praise God and His amazing grace!

Pastor Bill said...

Mark,
Your post inspires me. Thanks for keeping the fire!
Bill

Beth Quick said...

I do struggle with that first section too. I'm skeptical that some of the rulers I see are getting their authority from God. I guess perhaps they don't wield true authority? But I'm not sure how Paul himself sees this playing out. After all, wasn't he a prison escapee? That's not exactly submission ;) So I don't read Paul as making a blanket always-this-way statement. But it is certainly difficult to discern what/when/how.