Thursday, May 29, 2008

Acts 16

If you take the time to read the book of Acts and all of the writings of the Apostle Paul carefully you can watch a theology develop and grow before your eyes as you watch a man mature and age and grow. One example can be found here as Paul prepares to take Timothy with him on this missionary journey. Timothy's mother (and grandmother) was a Christian, but his father was a Greek. Apparently Paul was concerned here that everyone, knowing that Timothy's father was a Greek, would also presume Timothy was not circumcised. Paul has just delivered a letter from Jerusalem allowing the new Gentile Christians to forgo most of the legalism of the Jews, and yet he still has Timothy circumcised before they travel in mission. later Paul will have very harsh words for anyone that insists on this.

How has your theology and relationship with God grown and changed? It seems normal to me that our understanding will deepen as we grow, and that our relationships will change with God and God's word. Why is that such a scary idea for many of us?

It is very interesting to me the way Holy Spirit leads Paul and prevents some moves Paul tries to make. Oh that my life was so intimately guided by the Spirit of God that I would know when I am lead to move and prevented from moving. maybe as I grow up!

In Philippi, Paul finds many open to the Gospel message. When he rebukes and sets free a young woman who had been used for fortune telling because of a spirit - a demon - that possessed her, the young woman's owners do not rejoice at her freedom, they are enraged at their loss of an income opportunity! They have Paul and Silas arrested and severely beaten and imprisoned.

That night, around midnight, having been severely beaten and placed in shackles in the inner most part of the prison, Paul and Silas are singing praises to God! What a great testimony these saints leave for us to live in to! god reaches down and shakes the prison with an earthquake that leaves the doors open and the chains of all the prisoners loosed! The guard is ready to take his life when he finds Paul and Silas have not escaped. That night, the jailer and his entire family are baptised into faith in Jesus Christ!

Lord, help me to stay faithful and full of grace in the midst of my minor persecutions that others might come to saving faith in your Son!

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Pastor Bill, I wonder if I or any of us would stay in a prison, if God set us free. What kind of insight did Paul have to know to stay, save the guard from suicide and lead the guard and his family to come to know and accept Christ? I long for Christ to use me in that way, but my selfish humaness would probably get in the way.

Pastor Bill said...

For me too, Lynn - I guess we see the preview of "how" when Luke matter of factly reports that the Spirit prevents Paul from this move or that. The Spirit is willing and likely already speaking, we are not willing often to submitt I think.

Bill

mw said...

I can't remember doing much singing after taking a beating in my younger days.

What an amazing pair of men.

I love the jailer and family being saved.

Obviously God wanted him and his family!

It is awesome to see good come out of bad. I know God uses so many people in so many different ways to make sure His plan is accomplished.

What other opportunity would have presented itself so the jailer could be saved?

Paul and Silas were used in such a way that would ensure the eternal life of a man and his family.

I hope and pray I can be a part of bringing thousands and thousands of people to His altar.

The questions remains, however...what am I willing to sacrifice and endure to be blessed to partake in that process?

I pray for strength and guidance to lead me where He needs me.

Hoo Rah!

Beth Quick said...

I was very struck by Paul having Timothy circumcised. I guess in light of my recent clothing crisis at church, I'm reading Paul's actions through that lens...

The shift in point of view from third to first person is so abrupt - I'd forgotten about that.

I think it is funny that the NRSV at least says Paul is annoyed by the slave woman - whose fortune telling only has her saying something about Paul that is basically true, right? - and then that out of annoyance he casts out her demon. That just struck me as a bit funny!

Marshall Bailey said...

Hey there, folks. Bill, to respond to your question - I think that we are often so afraid of changing our theology because we are often not completely sure about where we stand - we just know that what we're hearing does not sound right. I bet sometimes, for many Christians, they might disagree with something they here that is actually part of their denominational faith. Do you know what I mean?
Paul and Silas have an amazing chance to change lives. I wonder how the other prisoners reacted that night. It is pretty awesome how God can see their praise from prison and use their imprisonment as a way to outreach to others. That's my God! Would we be singing in prison if someone came into our church and took us away in cuffs?
TTYS,
Marshall