Thursday, May 8, 2008

Acts 1

I mentioned in Luke 24 that Dr. Luke crammed 40 days of post-resurrection appearances into one day. Luke corrects this oversight in the prologue to Acts as he expands on the 40 days of Jesus appearing to the disciples. This book is written to the same recipient as the gospel of Luke - to you and I as we are Lovers of God.

Luke does a nice job summarizing the gospel presentation to catch his readers up to speed before he launches into the meat of the presentation - the Gospel of the Early Church.

Chapter one ends with the disciple selecting a replacement for Judas to carry on the ministry of the disciples. interesting that they wanted the new person to be "one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us--one of these must become a witness with us to his resurrection." Acts 1:21,22 NRSV. Apparently there were several people that filled the requirements, and they selected 2 men, Matthias and Barsabbas. After praying for God's guidance they cast lots and the lot fell to Matthias to join the 11 in their unique role and ministry.

i am so excited about our journey together through the book of Acts. I hope you will read along and write in on occasion when the Word of God touches your heart!

3 comments:

mw said...

PB your excitement flows right off your blog.

I know I am a little behind (I have been called worse), but I am excited to catch up and fill my heart with your lessons and share in your excitement.

Again, I thank you for your sacrifice and dedication to your flock :)

And I am excited that Jesus' brothers are gathered with the others in this chapter.

My heart goes out to them.

Rock on, PB; get us fired up with Acts!

Hoo Rah!

Marshall Bailey said...

Welcome to Acts. What a great passage. I remember when I was a camp counselor at Aldersgate Summer 2006, the theme of the summer was "ALIVE in Christ." What a concept, that we are alive because he is alive in us. Acts 1:3 talks about how he gave MANY proofs while he was on this earth after the resurrection that he was alive! How cool is that?
OUR God is ALIVE. Beat that!
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

Here I am finally to Acts, a few days before you finish it and move on. For me, the most significant thing about this chapter was understanding that Luke changes from using 'disciples' to using 'apostles'. That's significant for the change the 12 have gone through. They're still disciples, but now they are also sent.