Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Acts 5

Chapter 4 ended by introducing Barnabas, the "Son of Encouragement" to us. Luke tels us that Barney sold a field that he owned and gave the proceeds to the disciples for distribution. Chapter 5 begins by introducing Annanias and Sapphira to us. Annanias and Sapphira are the anti-heros of the story. They also sell a field, but conspire together to keep some of the proceeds, but tell everyone that they are giving the entire sum of the sale.

The story that follows is an example of the discipline and power in the early church. Annanias is confronted by Peter and drops dead. The young men carry the body out and bury him and before they can get back Sapphira meets the same end.

The sin of Annanias and Sapphire is not that they kept part of the money, but that they conspired together to lie about their generosity. We must take seriously the story even though it may offend our sensibilities. We might ask ourselves where we are deceiving others about our spirituality. Where are we living a religious lie, and for what end?

The authority and credibility of the Apostles grows daily and eventually the High Priest takes action and arrests them and puts them in jail under guard! That night, miraculously, the Apostles are released from prison by an angel of the Lord, and instructed to go and preach the Word! The next day when the religious leaders return to get the disciples from the prison they find the prison still locked but empty. they confront the disciples whom they find preaching in the temple and order them to stop their preaching. Again, the disciples say they must obey God and not people.

Here we find another famous quote - this time by Gamaliel, a famous teacher of the Jews and Saul of Tarsus (later called the Apostle Paul). Gamaliel cautions the angry leaders with this wisdom, "Fellow Israelites, consider carefully what you propose to do to these men. For some time ago Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody, and a number of men, about four hundred, joined him; but he was killed, and all who followed him were dispersed and disappeared. After him Judas the Galilean rose up at the time of the census and got people to follow him; he also perished, and all who followed him were scattered. So in the present case, I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone; because if this plan or this undertaking is of human origin, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them--in that case you may even be found fighting against God!" Acts 5:35-39 NRSV.

The council takes Gamaliel's advice, but before they release the disciples they have them flogged as a warning. Imagine the scene following the flogging - as the disciples leave they rejoice that they were considered worthy to suffer for the Lord! What courage and what a great example for us!

4 comments:

mw said...

It amazes me that the Council beat them even though no "charges" were brought against them.

But even more so, I wonder how I would hold up and act if I were one of the ones being beaten.

Back in my GI days, I remember wondering how I would hold up as a POW.

There were so many heroes I read about - the suffering they endured, the strength they brought to others...I could never imagine being that strong.

That same question and feeling comes to me as I read this chapter.

I know where my Faith is - I know how much I love the Lord...but could I endure the beatings and come out thankful?

I hope that I could be strong enough.

I owe Him so much.

These guys set a pretty high bar!

Pastor Bill said...

Mark,

I am afraid we have been spoiled and lulled into a false sense of entitlement even as believers. i heard a former POW say that hard times don't build carahter, they reveal it! Perhaps in the heat of the suffering our strenght, or rather God's strength would show through.

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

This passage is really powerful. I mean two people die at the feet of Peter. That's real power right there. I mean, if I ever thought of lying, and then I saw that happen, I would never think about lying again! It's interesting, because the earlier chapters in Acts have outlined for us that the spirit is now within us. That being said, you really are lying to the spirit when you try to lie, and since it is within you, you can't get away from being caught. Might as well not try.

Then that angel getting the men out of the jail cell and then locking it back up - that would be pretty crazy if you were the guard eh? Differently from the people who died for lying, these men go back to doing what they were punished for, because they know it's the right thing to do. HOw about that?
I love God.
He's real. He's in us. He knows us.
God bless,
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

I wish we had more of what the disciples' taught. Did they retell Jesus' parables? Did they recount his teachings? What more did they say?

I do feel a bit sorry for Ananias and Sapphira. Can't help it!

Gamaliel - good words.