Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Luke 23

I am struck as I read Luke's account of the "trial" of Jesus that Pilate is really a reluctant part of this. Before I let him off the hook though as a manipulated pawn I am forced to remember that he killed many people at his whim and could have stood against these charges easily if he had wanted to. No free pass for Pilate today from me.

Pilate does make some feeble attempts at releasing Jesus or passing responsibility on to Herod, but eventually he gives in to the pressures of the mob and hands Jesus over to be crucified.

Simon of Cyrene is conscripted to carry Jesus' cross. The women weep for Jesus and he tells them to weep for themselves and their people. I am still unable to read this passion event even in Luke's Gospel without replaying scenes from Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ". That graphic portrayal of the crucifixion lingers in my minds eye still - probably always will.

The repentant thief stands out tome in today's reading. What grace and mercy for Jesus to extend himself even in the moment of his great suffering, Amazing Grace indeed.

When Jesus is dead, Joseph of Arimathea comes asking Pilate for the body of Jesus, and lays him in a rock-hewn tomb where no one had ever been buried. The women make note of the location, and then they return to their homes to prepare spices and ointments for his burial and they rest on the sabbath according to the commandments. Their decision to rest on the sabbath because of the commandments stings a little today as I remember all of the people that Jesus healed and helped on the sabbath in spite of the opposition. I wonder if I would have done any different.

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow. What a passage. You can tell that Luke was trying to be brief but detailed all at the same time. What a hard story to tell. And then you bring up even more good points...how about that that.
Pilate was probably afraid of all those people shouting at him. I think I would be too! As powerful as he was, those people still had quantity, and they seemed pretty sure about what they wanted done with Jesus. Bad people.
I, too, think of "The Passion of The Christ" now every time I read any part of the crucification story in the bible. Such a clear, graphic, representation of what they did to our Lord. You can't make that stuff up. Can you imagine being Simon? Holding the cross next to the Lord - but wondering what "your friends may be thinking?"
I've always loved that Jesus forgives the man next to him on the cross, even though he was probably short of breath and barely alive. Guess that wouldn't be bad for some of my last words.
The miracles are always really awesome too - the lack of sun all the sudden. The cloth torn in two (which with more research of course becomes a huge deal). All at the same time that he "commended his spirit." I'd be pretty scared if I'd been any part of getting him on that cross, and then all these things happened.
You're right PB, what if they had not waited through the sabbath? I mean, God knows our thoughts and knows what is going on, so he probably could have sped up the process. We don't know what time exactly he left the tomb, because they get there and he was already gone. I feel like, in today's society, we would probably have just gone back, gotten the spices, and returned to his tomb, without taking a day in between.
That brings up an interesting point - what would it look like if he were crucified this day and age? Would it be televised? Would people care? Would we have "room for him in the Inn?"
I sure hope things would have been different - but I can't help but feel a slight load off my back that Jesus died for all the sins of humanity...Can we ever repay him though?
God bless all!
Marshall

mw said...

Pilate's role is interesting to me as well - I wonder how or if he ever came to the Lord before he died.

Two other things come to mind when I think of his role - he may have played a part in the death of many people, but then again so did Saul.

Without his part, Jesus would not have been crucified, died, been buried or resurrected.

He had a role to play in God's plan. I just hope he asked for forgiveness and was saved by God's grace.

I have a question - I might be trying to read into it too much, but could it be significant that Pilate tried to release Jesus THREE times?

Peter denied Him three times - Pilate tried (feeble as it was) to free Him three times...anything here PB?

I admire the repenting criminal.

Instead of focusing on his impending death, he boldly confessed his sins, took accountability for his actions, confessed Jesus as the Saviour, "witnessed" to the other criminal, asked for forgiveness and had a room reserved in heaven.

The lesson I love here is that we can be forgiven for ANYTHING if we ask from a contrite heart...that it is NEVER too late to repent...and that all we have to do is simply ask.

How can something so easy and so rewarding be so hard for us (mankind)?

It took me 45 years to recognize this simple truth...after struggling all my life to survive on my own.

Have mercy on me, Father, and use me as your witness.

Beth Quick said...

I wonder what exactly Herod hoped to find in Jesus (other than a sign/wonder.) I love how the movie version of JCSuperstar interprets Herod - a hedonist looking for an entertaining sideshow to watch.