Friday, May 2, 2008

Luke 21

Chapter 21 begins with the account of "The Widow's Mite". Jesus is watching people put their tithes and offerings into the temple treasury and calls the disciples attention to a widow who gives all she possesses - 2 small copper coins. I may have been inclined to stop her and tell her to hold on to what little she had - to let the wealthy give a bit more because they could afford it more than she could. Jesus has a different view on giving than I do. Jesus sees our giving as an opportunity for God's blessings to flow to us, and not as a reduction in our total stuff. How is your giving life? Are you giving out of God's abundance, or are you robbing God (see Malachi 3:8).

This is Jesus' last day of teaching before the Passover meal and his crucifixion in Luke's gospel. Jesus spends the rest of the chapter s[peaking of the end of the age and signs that will be seen. We have been looking for the second coming of Christ - many of us have - for almost 2000 years. Our fascination with this topic knows almost no limits. I wonder why. Why are we so taken with the end of all things when there is so much to do here in the mean time. I would think with unsaved neighbors and family members we would be concentrating on evangelism and giving and less on watching for the next "sign".

This world will end tomorrow - for someone. We are given the task of proclaiming the great Good News of the Gospel until Jesus returns - we are not tasked with clock watching or speculating on dates and scenarios. Come quickly Lord Jesus, but until you do come, help your people to be about your Kingdoms business.

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

That widow story really gets me - you wonder what she used to eat? I wonder if wealth was different then, too? Weren't the class distinctions more drastic? It seems now, many of our families would be wealthy, relatively speaking - especially when you leave the United States. For that reason, there's no reason we shouldn't give fully to God. I'm sure as a pastor you see that people definitely do not...but, that's for God to worry about, not me.
We have a fascination about things we are unsure about, don't we? We know the end is coming, but we don't know when. You make a truly valid point - someone will inevitably see the end tomorrow, and we should help them be ready. No one is exempt from this fact, so we really do need to keep on living and praising God and spreading his word.
Okay - I'm going to go do that now!
:-)
Great inspiration thanks so much for this blog!
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Marshall!

It seemed the poverty in Africa was soooo intense, but the folks ithin the church gave sacrificially and happily. We are a very very rich nation. Even most of our poor people have cars and cel phones! Don't get me wrong - I know there is aweful injustice here, but when you see a comparison like Uganda or others that are even worse, it makes you appreciate all we have.

Got get 'em Marshall!

Bill

mw said...

Dawn and I heard those exact words one Sunday in November back in 2006. Our group was asked if we were robbing God...we have been cheerful tithers ever since :)

You can't imagine the guilt and conviction we felt when we realized we had our thought process backwards. We used to give "what we had left" to God - instead of our firstfruits.

What a difference it has made in our lives...and hopefully in God's community.

I love your smash-in-the-mouth take on our priorities, PB.

I am guilty of taking the easy way out at times - avoiding a confrontation, correction, rebuke or the call to witness...

If I could just die to myself a little quicker, perhaps I could make witnessing my priority - as it should be.

EVERYONE should know the peace and love that fills our hearts because of our Lord. They won't know unless I share it.

Strengthen me, Lord - make me your vessel first.

(and thank you)

Beth Quick said...

"Now when these things begin to take place, stand up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

Despite all the crazy things Jesus describes, his message is one of hope for us - stand up, raise your heads, redemption is near. I think sometimes we get so caught up in fear and anxiety over the doom and gloom of this chapter. But Jesus means it, strangely to us, as a message of hope.