Monday, May 12, 2008

Acts 3

What a wonderful Pentecost celebration in all 4 of our worship services yesterday! Thanks to everyone that helped make worship so intimate.

As we begin this new week we continue in our reading of the book of Acts. The readings will follow the normal pattern, Monday - Acts 3, Tuesday - Acts 4, Wednesday - Acts 5, Thursday - Acts 6, and Friday - Acts 7.

Chapter 3 begins with the powerful retelling of the story of the crippled man healed at The Gate called Beautiful. Peter and John were passing by the man and he called out to them expecting them to donate some money. Peter responds that he has no silver or gold, but he commands the crippled man to stand up and walk. The next verse is what grabs my attention. Peter not only commands the man to stand up. he reaches out and grabs him by the right hand and drags him to his feet! Now that is faith in action, don't you think? i might pray, I might tell the man to get up, but to take the step of physically pulling him up - that separates Peter from most everyone I know. Maybe that unwavering tenacious faith is what is missing when we pray. Lord help me to be bold in you.

The man began jumping around and praising God for this wonderful gift of wholeness, and a crowd gathers. The crowd is amazed and shocked at the man they recognize as the cripple at The Gate called Beautiful is now a dancing fool for Christ! Peter uses this opportunity to preach the Gospel and have an altar call. And people begin to come to salvation in droves. This was a normal part of the equation in the early church - signs and wonders accompanied the preaching of the word and lives were changed.

Not to dumb it down just for our convenience, but I see a similar process especially among the younger generation today. When the church really does the works of ministry - really feeds the hungry and clothes the naked and loves the outcast, when the church moves in power and lives are changed, people come to faith! What will it take to get you (and me) up off the matt of our blessed assurance and back into the game friend?

4 comments:

mw said...

Sunday was awesome, PB - I was especially proud of the number of children that will take over the leadership roles as they grow and learn. Our Church is blessed to have a new generation coming behind us to teach and bring people to the altar.

I appreciate your question at the end of your blog.

The Lord has shown me so many people that are suffering in this world.

I have prayed to be used to help in this cause, and what I have learned is that as soon as I feel "comfortable" with my efforts, the Lord shows me MORE people I need to help.

I have realized that He is doing His part - He is showing me where He wants me.

Now I need to shut up and put up - I need to put my head down and go in swinging, not stopping to admire or appreciate my progress, but work hard and await my reward in heaven.

My fear is that if I focus on me for even a second, I will pass by someone who needs my help.

I pray for humility, strength and proper focus.

I give all the glory to my Lord and Saviour.

But I need to do more.

Please pray for me.

Pastor Bill said...

I will pray for you - in fact I am right now. Please pray for me too friend - I can do more, I can do better. I want my life to count for the Kingdom and I don't want to disappoint our Lord or leave anyone behind because I am lazy or half stepping.

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah you guys are right - I pray for a lot of things, but faith in action is often more difficult. What does it take to make me pull the man from the street and make him walk?
I think that sometimes in my work with High School students it really feels like they need to be picked up off the ground often, and I often try but I must not be trying hard enough. You can always do more. What a great example Peter and John have given us.
I'll be praying for you gentlemen also.
God Bless,
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

Now that Peter is standing up and talking and not full of doubt and denial, it seems nothing will stop him!