Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Acts 4

In Chapter 4 the plot thickens (cue scary music). John and Peter have been witnessing to the crowd that gathered after the crippled man at The Gate Called beautiful is healed, and the crowd is turning towards this new gospel. the Sadducee's come on the scene and they are upset with Peter and John mainly because they are preaching resurrection from the dead. The Sadducee's did not believe in an after life or heaven (that is why they are Sad - u - see) and you may remember them being pitted against the Pharisees by Jesus in a debate over the eternal life issue.

It is late in the day, so the Sadducee's have Peter and john arrested and held over until morning for a public hearing. Don't skip over the verse that says that day 5000 people came to faith in Christ. WOW!!!

The next day when they gather together Peter gives them a Holy Spirit filled sermon that is must reading! What a powerhouse Peter is now that Holy Spirit has come on the scene! The leaders threaten the Disciples and warn them not to preach ever again in the name of Jesus. Their response has been quoted by those practicing civil disobedience ever since. They said, "Whether it is right in God's sight to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge; for we cannot keep from speaking about what we have seen and heard." Acts 4:19,20 NRSV.

After the disciples are released they go back to their friends and celebrate and praise God for their deliverance and God's power among them. Chapter 4 ends much like chapter 2 with an account of what life in the early church was like. Oh how I want to see the church live like this again. One of my favorite Bible characters is brought onto the stage in the last 2 verses of chapter 4. He is Joseph of Cyprus whom the Apostles give the name "Barnabas" or Son of Encouragement. What a great name. I have many people in my life that fill this Barnabas roll for me, and a few for whom I have been an encourager. Who are you intentionally encouraging today? Are there any among us who would call you their Barnabas?

4 comments:

mw said...

Oh that we would have the boldness and courage and faith to stand on the steps of our government everyday and demand the return of Christian principles in our government!

It is amazing that these men faced death (and not in a nice way) everyday as they boldy proclaimed the Gospel, yet we wonder what others would "think" if we convicted them openly for their sinful ways.

As you know, I was cautioned about mentioning religion during the course of my job because of the Federal funding we receive.

What I noticed after a few months was that I was not satisfied with my job and I was actually a bit "uncomfortable" as I talked to my clients.

I think I figured out the problem.

Over the past couple of months I have found ways to bring up my faith with my clients.

Amazingly, I have found more energy and have had better success in helping these people.

I believe I was put in this position by the Lord - when I "left Him out," I was not satisfied or even happy about what I was doing.

Now that He has been brought back in, I see Him working through me and I see the results of the clients I am sharing with.

Last week a client and I shared the Gospel for almost three hours!

(So if I end up looking for work, please keep me in mind)

Honestly, what a difference the Lord makes in my daily activities. I missed Him when I first started my job - kind of funny as I think back on it.

"OK, Lord, it's 4:30 - we can be together again and talk. The government doesn't work late, so it's just You and I again. But remember, I have to leave again in the morning."

I am sorry it took me so long to understand that the reason I was unfulfilled was because the Holy Spirit wanted me to obey His direction instead of some government that has lost its way.

Will I ever learn to immediately obey?

I pray that I will.

Pastor Bill said...

Mark,

You are growing right before my eyes - you may be too close to see it, but I see it and so do others.

Keep up the good work and allow God's grace to do its good work!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, great story, Mark. It's funny to remember that there's so many aspects of our lives where we may be too afraid to talk about God, but he really needs to be there. I think about how many missed opportunities i have had in college because of the fact that professors tend to set a tone of atheism. Also, as a future teacher, how can I work that into my job without getting fired?
You bring up a very valid point in this passage, PB. How did Peter talk? Through the Holy Spirit, right/ Not through a book that he read, or speech that he memorized. The holy spirit gave him the words and energy he needed to be successful in his preaching - do we Trust that god will provide in the same way for us? Look what happened when Peter trusted in the spirit. Think about what the spirit can do in your life, and give it credit where it is due!
God bless,
Marsh

Beth Quick said...

I too love those verses 19 & 20. Hard to argue with that, and yet, not many of us are as bold as the disciples. I was struck by the heading my NRSV gave the next section: "The disciples pray for boldness." I think I need to pray for boldness too. I'm just afraid God might give more of it to me if I ask!