Friday, May 16, 2008

Acts 7

Acts chapter 7 is a great history / theology lesson given by Stephen as a final word before he is stoned to death. Stephen weaves his way from Abraham to Isaac and Jacob to Moses and David and finally to Jesus. Stephen's last words are brilliant and a fairly brief review of the history these religious leaders must have been familiar with!

As Stephen concludes his statement, they grind their teeth at him in anger and he looks heavenward and proclaims,"I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!" Acts 7:56 NRSV. What a powerful moment of faithfulness. This seems to be more than the enraged crowd can stand and they rush Stephen, and drag him out of the city and stone him to death. While he is dying he sounds just like our savior, "While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he died." Acts 7:59&60 NRSV.

Stephen lived and died well. I have often wondered if I could stand faithful at the onslaught of angry people and persecution. We have powerful examples in our history of men and women who would not bow to earthly pressures, but leaned into the Kingdom in their final moments. Lord help us to live well, and when necessary, die well.

5 comments:

mw said...

I wonder, like Moses, how long I delayed the Lord's ability to use me for His will.

I understand His timing is pefect, but it took me 46 years to settle down and consider His way instead of mine. (silly me, who would have "thunk" that His way would be easier)

As for Stepehn, wow.

I struggled with condemning two cars speeding past my house last night! We are on a dead-end road and there are families that walk with their children every day...including my grandchildren.

I had to keep asking for forgiveness for my thoughts, then I would get angry at them again and think "bad" stuff and have to ask for forgiveness again...it was a nasty cycle!

How strong in faith was Stephen to ask the Lord to not charge them with his death.

Give me some of THAT, please!

Pastor Bill said...

Mark -

I am alot like you. I have a hair trigger if I don't submit to Jesus. I have spoken up or out many times only to repent and ask God's forgiveness and grace. Stephen was in the right place spiritually to be God's man in that moment.

I am doing better - and so are you, God is not finished with us yet!

Bill

Pastor Bill said...

Mark -

I am alot like you. I have a hair trigger if I don't submit to Jesus. I have spoken up or out many times only to repent and ask God's forgiveness and grace. Stephen was in the right place spiritually to be God's man in that moment.

I am doing better - and so are you, God is not finished with us yet!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Who would have thought you could capture so much of the old testament in one chapter of Acts? Stephen really knew his stuff- but all it got him was a stoning - at least that's what it looks like if you don't know the whole story.
Stephen was tested for his faith, and he spouted out what he knew was true and wonderful - the history of God, and why what he was doing made sense. Although these people didn't like it, he was in the right sight with God.
Why can't we be more like Stephen in our lives? We cater to so many things here on Earth, and don't see that what God wants is far from what the dude down the street or the boss or your peers often want. We need to keep our eyes on the Savior, and it really will change our lives. I think you really make this valid point, MW.
He was stoned, but praised God despite the stoning. He even thought that the men who performed this task ought to be forgiven - for that matter, maybe he felt that he hadn't had the chance to fully reach these people and explain that the way to Heaven and salvation was through Jesus...
Will we be thinking that as we pass on? If we have great faith, it sure seems like it...because there will always be more people in the world - but Our Father in Heaven will know where our hearts were, and how we dealt with our gift from Jesus.
Let us be Bold, as we realize what a gift we have with Freedom of Religion and so many fellow believers.
AMEN.
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

I cannot imagine a stoning - being stoned, participating in a stoning, what it must take to have that as part of your culture. But I guess maybe it is at least an overt up front way of doing what we try to do in more civilized ways in our culture today...

I like Stephen's testimony - he knew his audience, and speaks to them in a way that they will hear, even if they don't hear.