Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Acts 10

Acts chapter 10 is a very, very inconvenient chapter for anyone that has excluded people from being acceptable to God. If you are a racist, a sexist, a homophobe or any other king of "-ist" or "-phobe" you may want to skip this chapter so your prejudices might remain in tact.

Having warned you, we find Cornelius, a devout God fearing person who regularly gives alms and prays receiving a visitation fro a messenger of God. The angel says, "Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God. Now send men to Joppa for a certain Simon who is called Peter; he is lodging with Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the seaside." Acts 10:4-6 NRSV. How about that? Not only had Cornelius' prayers been heard, but his faithful giving had ascended as a memorial before God! What impact is my giving having in the Throne Room? How about your giving?

Cornelius sends to Joppa for Peter who has been having dreams and visions of his own. In the vision God commands Peter to eat food that Peter had always been trained by his religion to see as unclean. God tells Peter in the vision that nothing God calls clean shall ever be unclean.

When Peter meets the Gentiles gathered in Cornelius' home, he makes a very interesting statement. peter says, "You yourselves know that it is unlawful for a Jew to associate with or to visit a Gentile; but God has shown me that I should not call anyone profane or unclean." Acts 10:28 NRSV. Peter says that we must call no one profane or unclean when it comes to our faith walk with God.

How does that work for you? Who would you have to include that you have been so comfortable excluding all of these years because of your religion? What God has called blessed, we must not call profane. Wrestle with that for the rest of the day, the week, your mortal life. We may find that Grace really is amazing and we really are free. What do you think?

6 comments:

mw said...

I think this had to create more chaos with the religious leaders of that time than most other times.

It was the turning point for us gentiles, of course, and Praise God He opened the door to His Kingdom for us non-jews.

I can only imagine the tearing of the robes, the grinding of the teeth...the screams of anger...the shouts of blasphemy...the stockpiling of stones.

I have had a few piles of stones in reserve throughout my life, but with the clients I have now, I am learning to pray for them (and me) immediately upon hearing some of their pasts.

Now when I feel myself wanting to reach for a stone, I reach for the Word instead.

There are some people out there who have done some pretty nasty stuff - but the Lord is showing me that He needs me to pray for them as much (or even more) than I pray for my friends and family.

Somedays it is tough to be honest.

But I always find it easier to help them once I do pray for them (and me).

Acts 10 is an amazing chapter from an amazing God.

Pastor Bill said...

Amen Mark.

Not easy when God includes people that make me uncomfortable. Not easy for them I suppose when God includes me! Grace is either for all or not for any of us.

Bill

Sara said...

This passage is also important because it shows us how much we all have to learn no matter who we are. As followers of Christ, we have so much that we need to be open to for God to teach us. First of all, Peter learns a huge lesson from God. God showed Him that it was right for him to also share the message of God with Gentiles. By teaching this lesson to Peter, Peter then shares his testimony with Cornelius and Cornelius’s family and friends. This leads to a room full of people receiving the Holy Spirit and being baptized. The Jewish believers who came with Peter also had an opportunity to learn about God’s will. By bringing Peter and Cornelius together, God taught them both exactly what they needed to learn. He makes things work so perfectly!

Pastor Bill said...

Amen Sara - If we keep our hearts and minds open, God still teaches and draws us deeper into fellowship and Love with god and each other!

Lord, keep me teachable!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, you all make really good points about this passage.
I've often been asked the questions about where my faith stands with homosexuals, and other things that people may stigmatize. I guess next time I get asked, I'll send people to Acts 10. God loves all of us, and he wants all of us to have the chance to go to Heaven. He sees people as indistinguishable because he's God and loves all. He wants us to feel that way and act that way as we share our faith. Are we?
It's incredible how the men, Cornelius and Peter, come together and make a difference. God really planned that one out well. He visited both of them, which changed both their lives and plans for that week, but when they came together, they changed many lives. The power of Cornelius was helpful for getting people to come, and to display the respect for Peter and what he had to say. The new believers mirrored that respect, and thus were able to have open hearts for the faith. That's incredible.
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

I'm trying to remember something my new testament professor in undergrad said about "god-fearers" - that they were a group of people that would have been somewhere between what we consider Jew and Gentile. Like they were on the fringe of both communities, or something, but not fully committed to the life of Judaism. I don't remember.
Anyway, I guess that's hardly the point! More about that no partiality stuff ;)