Monday, May 26, 2008

Acts 13

As we begin this new week we will read: Monday - Acts 13, Tuesday - Acts 14, Wednesday - Acts 15, Thursday - Acts 16, and Friday - Acts 17.

In Acts 13 we see the appointive systems roots. Interestingly enough, I will be in Syracuse much of the week at the annual conference meeting of the North Central New York Conference of the United Methodist Church. as we read Acts it is easy to see the roots of the system of choosing pastors that some of our churches use called appointments. In this system a group of leaders (a bishop and district superintendents) gather and assign pastors to particular preaching posts. The other way this is accomplished is the cal system, where a congregation calls or hires their own pastor. Each system has strengths and weaknesses, but the strength of the appointive system is that a person can be appointed to a church based on their gifts and graces, apart from prejudices. Paul and Barnabas were appointed by the mission field by the group of elders in charge.

Paul's bold encounter with Elymas the false prophet is impressive! Paul shuts him down and turns the hearts of the people towards the gospel.

Later back in Antioch Paul preaches a wonderful sermon in the temple and many believed. The gentiles in particular heard the gospel message with great joy that they were now included in the family of God. Soon opposition arises against Paul and Barnabas and they are driven out of Antioch and make their way to Iconium. Even in the face of this persecution they go with great joy and the Holy Spirit!

Where has God appointed you to be in ministry today? I pray tat you are you journeying in great joy and the Holy Spirit, my friend!

3 comments:

mw said...

PB, what happened in the region after Paul and Barnabas were expelled?

It sounds as though the Gentiles were all fired up, but the Jewish leaders were too jealous to see the light.

Paul and Barnabas shook off the dust from their feet...but what happened to the Gentiles who believed and were converted?

I know they eventually come back, but I wonder long it was and how ugly it got for the believers while they waited for them to return.

Just wondering.

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah - another interesting passage. To have the boldness to say those words despite the people speaking against them is truly awesome. I think that those Jews really did need their eyes opened to the light. Since God's love shows no bounds, the gentiles would obviously be included. What makes the Jews better? I bet they don't know either.
I like Paul's encounter also - I don't think I'd mess with someone or believe against his God if he made someone I knew blind. Do you want to be blind for believing in a false god?
MW, you make a pretty good point - what did happen after they led all these people to Christ, yet the people who were in authority were against the faith they had received. It seems like it could be quite the uproar.
PB, it's great that we have a good system in our church to make appointments...I guess it's just always been something that's a part of being involved with organized religions. It's interesting to see its roots.
The power of these men in these stories is awesome - I want to be like them. I bet'cha I can be, if my heart is in the right place.
Amen,
Marshall Bailey

Beth Quick said...

I never thought I would say this, but after going through Acts more closely, I think I like Paul's preaching better than Peter's! :) I think Paul hits more about what is really important (at least to me) about Jesus.

"destined for eternal life." That phrase stirs against my Methodist sensibilities of course, but I can understand a sense in which to interpret it rather than in a sort of Calvinist understanding of what 'destined' means.