Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Mark 6

In the first five chapters of Marks Gospel we have seen people have many different reactions to Jesus. Most of them have reacted with fear, terror, awe and the like. Here in chapter six Jesus returns home to Nazareth and he has a very strong reaction to the people of his home town. Have you read it yet? Verse 6 chapter 6 says, "And he was amazed at their unbelief."

Wow. That makes me stop and think about what Jesus might be thinking as he watches me. I wonder if Jesus is ever amazed at anything I do. I wonder if he ever shakes his head, I know I do sometimes. I want to amaze Jesus at my faithfulness, how about you. I want my savior to look at me and smile and laugh to himself a little and whisper "Wow - go get 'em Bill." I DO NOT want him to have to be amazed at my unbelief, at my faithlessness.

Later in chapter 6 the disciples ask Jesus if he should release the crowds so they can go into the surrounding area to get something to eat and he says, "YOU give them something to eat." As the story unfolds Jesus takes what little they have, he blesses them and breaks them and then - watch this this is important - he gives the loaves and fishes back to his disciples and sends them to feed the crowds. I believe Jesus still works this way with Christ Followers. He receives our offerings, blesses and multiplies them and gives them back to us and sends us to feed the hungry.

Lets give Jesus the best we have to offer in 2008. I trust God can use what we offer by blessing it, and breaking it and sending us to minister in our world.

9 comments:

Sue H said...

Bill... isn't amazing how our "Family" shakes there head at us as we speak about how Jesus has changed our lives...esp the one who knew us before christ(BC)...also when i was reading about how Herod offered anything with out thinking things through...I saw me not thinking before saying sure i can do this and that and this...Thank God he knows when to say stop..when i listen...Praise God for this chance to share daily...Sue H

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Sue,
It is odd that some who love us don't want what's best for us. I am excited to make this journey through the New Testament with you and our church family!
Bill

Charlene said...

Isn't it strange that Herod recognized the specialness of John and attempted to protect him? Legion recognized the divinity of Jesus. Even Herodias recognized the power and rightness of John, but we believers can sometimes lose our conviction.

Abed-melech said...

In verse 4 Jesus states that a prophet is never honored in his own town. I know from traveling to other churches that a person [myself] is more attentive at another church than at their own church. I think it is a TOO comfortable senario for a parishioner to sometimes not be attentive at his own church. This can lead a pastor to think that he is not effective. From experience Bill, I think Jesus would have loved to have had You traveling with Him.

Pastor Bill said...

Abed-Melech, Servant of the King!
Thank-you for your thoughts and kind words. I daydream of what it might be like to travel with Jesus, to hear him speak to the crowds and feel his hand upon my shoulder as we watch a sunrise. I believe that He travels with us now, and I am glad to share that journey with the Kins servant Abed-Melech.

Bill

mw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mw said...

Pastor, I have a few questions from Chapter 6.

In vs 3, Jesus is listed as the son of Mary instead of the son of Joseph - I thought it was customary to list the male lineage in the bible. Is there something significant here?

Vs 52 says the disciples did not understand about the loaves because "their hearts were hardened." Why would the disciples' hearts be hardened at this time?

Pastor Bill said...

Mark,
Great questions. In the Jewish nation and in many ancient worlds lineage is tracked through the mother. The technology for paternity was not available, but we knew for sur who your mom is, was the reasoning behind this.

The part about the disciples hearts being hardened is curious for several reasons. They were following Jesus and had left everything to do so, so it would sem they would be open to all Jesus had. Also, it seems odd that Jesus has just demonstrated his power by walking on water, and the verse says "they were utterly astounded, for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened." I wondered why they were baffled by the loaves when he had just walked on water?
My conclusion is that perhaps they were frail humans like us and their brains and faith were on overload at this point. Also, perhaps this points to the importance of the lesson of the bread - Jesus being the bread of life. They are confused about bread again in chapter 8!
Just some ideas to ponder friend.

Beth Quick said...

I love when the Bible says that Jesus has compassion - that's one of my favorite words in the Bible, the way often Jesus looked at the crowds, despite all of their inability to follow him.