Thursday, January 24, 2008

Romans 2

Before I comment on Romans 2 I want to give a brief update to those of you who have been reading along on the meeting we had last night in Syracuse around the Call to radical Christianity document. We had between 85 and 100 people in attendance and all of them seemed VERY interested. Someone commented after the 2+ hour meeting that it was one of the first conference meetings they could remember where the participants were actually on the edge of their seats leaning in for the entire meeting. We limited discussion to the intent of the document and not the content, and we also asked people not to impugn anyone in our NCNY Conference leadership. For the most part, these guidelines were followed.

One of the biggest surprises (and the nicest surprise I might add) of the night was the arrival of our Bishop Violet Fisher! We had not had any communication from her or her office since we mailed her the document in late November, early December. I was overjoyed that she came, she spoke to the gathered clergy at our insistence as we began and she participated in the small group process (she was in my small group and I could feel her energy and encouragement!) Another quick observation from my experience of the night. I was completely calm and relaxed all day and felt like I was surrounded by the prayers of the saints (you folks!) through the entire process. Thank-you, and thanks be to God.

Now, about Romans 2! As Mark observed yesterday, Paul comes out swinging! interesting that he swings hardest at any who would presume to stand in judgement of others! Too often Paul's writings are twisted and used as weapons against one group or another. The people that do that must not have read chapter 2 of Romans. I believe Paul wants us to face sin and confess it and repent but only OUR OWN SIN! Why are we so quick to identify the sins of others and ignore our own? Maybe the answers to that hypothetical question is obvious - but it is never right to judge others!

Paul concludes his lambasting (did I really just use that word?) of all hypocrites by turning us to examine our own hearts. In fact in vss 27 - 29 says "Then those who are physically uncircumcised but keep the law will condemn you that have the written code and circumcision but break the law. For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart--it is spiritual and not literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but from God. " There is the tension in this walk of faith. It is not simply about what we know in our heads, although learning and knowledge is good, it is, after all, about the condition of our heart. I hear Psalm 51 echoing in Paul's letter to Rome - "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and restore a new and right Spirit within me."

5 comments:

mw said...

Convicted again.

Verse 1: "Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things."

In the military (and civilian world later), I was kown for dismissing people who lied to me. I was very hard in this area, and even prided myself for that reputation.

I never lied, and expected others to have the same values.

Then one day, the Holy Spirit caught ME lying - I said I didn't have any money to one of my children (who wanted some candy); another time when my wife wanted to go somewhere and I said I was too tired. And another time when...

It was a rude awakening for me. I honestly felt these weren't really lies. (I am sure I was convinced by Satan and his imps that they weren't).

I can remember the day I was convicted - I was actually scared - fearful of being in front of Jesus one day and hearing Him tell me the truth - that I was a hypocrite!.

I sometimes make the mistake of thinking of sin in "degrees" instead of black and white. My sin of "small lies" was just as bad as any big lie.

Not judging others can be quite a trial - but I know I get better every day.

I have a LONG way to go in this area as well.

Pastor Bill said...

I am glad to be on the journey with you my friend. Isn't it great to know that while God corrects us and allows Holy Spirit to stir in us to know right and wrong, that God's love is unconditional?!
Looking ahead a few days, Roman 8 begins with some of the most comforting words in sripture for me, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."
Hang in there! Bill

Crystal said...

"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."
Such beautiful words to know and understand, but sometimes I think I tend to 'use' them instead of trying harder to be the person Christ intends for me to be. My prayer for the New Year for myself is to GROW UP in Christ and gain a better knowledge and understanding of ALL of the words that God has given us in His love letter to us and not just pick and choose what seems to fit me for the day..... does that make any sense to anyone besides me?? :-)

Pastor Bill said...

Absolutely makes sense to me Crystal. I am alos often too good to me and hard on others. I need to find a place where I can balance holiness and grace and for me that place is called relationship. We try often to make that place religion and it has deadly ugly consequences. It is a good thingfor us to struggle and journey together in these places!
Bill

Beth Quick said...

"For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but the doers of the law who will be justified. 14When Gentiles, who do not possess the law, do instinctively what the law requires, these, though not having the law, are a law to themselves. 15They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts"

That's my favorite section. It reminds me of "The Last Battle" from the Chronicles of Narnia when the man who followed a different 'god' - Tash, is told by Aslan that what is in his heart is known and that he's been serving Aslan all along. It's fine if we know all the right things to say - but what tells what's in our hearts is how we respond in faith through action. It's as simple as the old adage - practice what you preach. I think I'm a good preacher, but I need to be better at practicing my practice!