Friday, January 18, 2008

Mark 14

The account of the anointing at Bethany is one of many moving moments in the passion week. A woman pours out her most valuable gift in response to her love for Jesus. My wife and daughters have a CD by CeCe Winans with the title song "Alabaster Box" that is very moving. The song identifies the woman who anoints Jesus as Mary, the sister of Lazarus. If you read Mark carefully you'll see that the woman's name is not given, but Mary is identified as the woman in John 12. An approximate cost in denari is given in Mark that would set the value at more than a years wages for a laborer. The song moves beyond the monetary value of the contents of the box to say "No one knows the cost of the oil in my alabaster box."

As we move on through the chapter Jesus drops a bomb shell on the disciples during the Passover meal. As they recline at table Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me, one who is eating with me." How devastating! But read carefully here friends, and you'll see their amazing reaction. Yes, they are all distressed at the news, but they do NOT all in one swooshing motion turn and point accusing fingers at Judas. In fact, verse 19 says they all begin to question, "Surely not I?" Perhaps they all knew their frail position and their weak resolve. I wonder if they leaned into Jesus and asked quietly, "It's not me, is it Lord?" I think this reaction cautions me to resist the sin of pointing out other peoples sins and short comings and look within. I also find myself hoarsely whispering, "Not me, Lord, please not me."

Mark very briefly introduces the institution of The Lord's Supper and then leads us quickly into the Garden of Gethsemane. Jesus submissive, faithful call to God for this cup to pass if it can echo through the pages. I see these scriptures now through the lens of Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" even when I try not to. Jesus is arrested and taken before the council.

The trial is depicted here briefly as a mockery, and in the face of all that has happened Peter fulfills Jesus' earlier prediction by denying 3 times that he even knew Jesus. The text moves too quickly to contain my emotions, and as it ends I find myself weeping with Peter.

4 comments:

Abed-melech said...

today I was listening to Dr David Jeremiah on Mark 11- verse 15. I guess I have never really comprehended why Jesus was so angry with the merchants and "coin changers" in the temple. Verse 15 states that Jesus began knocking over tables and throwing out the merchants. Passover was a big business for merchants as people came from all over to go to Temple. The Romans were in control of the country, and when people came from other countries to Temple they had to exchange their money for Temple money as only Temple money was allowed in the temple as an offering. The changers would basically rob the people of their "coins" in the exchage of temple coins. The Romans would tell the people who were bringing animals for sacrifice that the animals they were going to sacrifice were inadaquate and then they had to buy "a better sacrifice" from the merchants. Again people going to Temple were basically being robbed. I feel that this most likely made people angry but Jesus took a stand and tossed them out. Another reason for the religous leaders to question Jesus' motivation/ authority.

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Friend,
The Pharisees and the Saducees were in "business" with the money changers, and they would affirm only those animals sold by the temple merchants and they could only be purchased with "temple money" so the exchange had to be made on their terms as well. This arrangement was very profitable for the religious leaders.
I believe Jesus was angry because they tried to block access to God and they took advantage of the people. Some of the issue was also misuse of the traveler - this was forbidden in the law becaus we - Israel - were once sojourners too.
On a side note I enjoy Dr. Jeremiah very much. He is a good preacher and his presentation is easy to understand but full of the Word.

Beth Quick said...

I'm always drawn to the passages about Judas (ever since I first fell in love with JCSuperstar in Junior High) and wondering what was going on in his mind and how he fits into the whole passion story...

Mark tells of the last supper with such simplicity. I love the communion liturgy in our hymnals (I really do), but it's certainly a bit more drawn out than how Mark tells things, isn't it?

Jesus in the Garden asking for someone to just stay awake with him was an image I fixed on to think about pastoral care when I was in seminary. We're being asked, as pastors, as disciples, if we would just stay awake one hour in people's loneliest gardens.

Pastor Bill said...

Great image for pastoral care. There are so many places where people need us to linger a little while with them. Lately my life is so packed I have little margin. I know part of the problem with that is I do not have time to take time.