Thursday, January 3, 2008

Mark 3

As you read the Gospel of Mark, make sure you keep track of the word "immediately". Mark uses this word and others to speed his narrative along. Jesus, or the Pharisees, or others are constantly doing things "immediately".

Yesterday Elizabeth (my brilliant niece)commented, "I always try to imagine how I would respond if someone 1) said they could heal someone on the spot or 2) said they could forgive someone of their sins. Likely, I would meet the person with extreme doubt and skepticism. I try then to realize that I would likely have been a skeptic in Jesus' day too - or like Thomas, I would have certainly wanted to see things with my own eyes."

I have been thinking about that and I agree. I often tell people in our church that Thomas was called the twin because he is my twin. Today Jesus flies in the face of the accepted tradition by healing on the sabbath, and the chapter ends with Jesus disrespecting his mother -- at least that's the way it would have played in my family.

We have the advantage of hind sight as we smugly watch Jesus. We sometimes marvel at the disciples unbelief and ask how they could have been so dense and faithless. But what if we were living it? What if we didn't know how each story ends before it begins?

Let me ask you to live with these question today. What if Jesus is moving around you every day in radical new ways? Will you follow Jesus today? Will you even recognize it if God moves outside of the parameters and prejudices you've accepted? What if God does a new thing among us? Will we walk with God? or will we complain and scoff and "immediately" conspire against him, how to destroy him?

7 comments:

Karen said...

Its amazing how complacent I can be, even when I DO know the way each story ends. Is it fear somehow? Fear that if I start to change, one thing will lead to another and another...and pretty soon I'll be a whole New Person? Or maybe I'm just too comfy with that unconditional love...forgetting just what that love calls me to be..

Beth Quick said...

My favorite verse in this chapter is:

"Then he said to them, ‘Is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the sabbath, to save life or to kill?"


I love the way Jesus rephrases a typical question so that the answer is so obvious that no one can be confused about the answer. Obviously, the Sabbath is for doing good, not harm. By reframing it, Jesus makes it a ludicrous thing to respond differently.

Charlene said...

This chapter does call one to re-evaluate life and your role. Regarding your question...I prefer to believe that God is meeting me every day. I don't always measure up, but I know when I am wrong, as well as right.

Kathy said...

Could you please explain Mark 3:29 to me? It says: But whoever blashemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin. Here are a few of my questions: #l Is there a difference between sinning against God, and sinning against the Holy Spirit? #2 Is there any sin that is considered an unforgiveable sin? #3 Isn't all sin considered eternal, unless we ask forgiveness? Hope you can clearify this for me. Thanks.

Sarah said...

Hi Pastor Bill!
The word "Boanerges" in Mark 3:17 is translated "Sons of Thunder."

What language does the word "Boanerges" derrive from? Hebrew? Latin? Greek?

I knew previously that James 'n John were considered "Sons of Thunder" but why?

Also, did the disciple, Thaddeus have an alternate name perchance? I didn't remember that name...woops 'my bad :)

I'm really enjoying the reading and the blogging, many thanks!!

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Sarah

The greeek word transliterated Bronte - they were called that because of there thundery disposition - remember they wanted to call fire down on a Samaritain village. I think its a nick name kind of like Rocky or Peter.

As for Thadeus, if Matthew and Luke are parallel lists he may be the "other" Judas son of James. He may have gone with Thaddeus for obvious reasons later. Not many kids named Judas in the disciples family trees I guess!

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Kathy,
#1) All sin, as King David rightly identifies in Psalm 51, is against God. And as such it is against the Holy Spirit as he is part of the Godhead.
#3) All sins have already been forgiven and the price fully paid at Calvary by Jesus, but not all people have accepted the forgiveness that Jesus has purchased for them. It is as if a deposit in their name has been made at the bank and they refuse to go claim it - the deposit is there, the price is paid in full, but they do not appropriate the forgiveness for themselves.
#2) Finally unforgiveable sin is a complex theological concept that I believe you are in no danger of particularly if you are concerned about it. Look at Hebrews 6:1-8 for a closer look at those who have tasted all that God has to offer and then turn away.
I hope this helps as you think it through - ask more questions and keep thinking!
Bill