Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Romans 1

Welcome to Romans! This complex book written by the Apostle Paul has been called Paul's theology book. Many books have been written over the centuries as the church has tried to come to grips with what Paul says here. You are welcome to weigh in as you wrestle with this letter.

Paul likely wrote the book of Romans towards the end of his life as he prepared to travel to Rome and, he hoped, beyond. It is believed he wrote this letter from Corinth. Martin Luther called the book of Romans "the chief part of the New Testament," and the words here had profound impact on Augustine, Luther,Calvin Wesley and many of our greatest Christian thinkers. I believe the road to the New Testament and understanding our faith leads through these pages!

Paul begins this work with his characteristic salutation. He gives thanks for the Roman church and recounts their fame amongst the early church believers.

I love vss 16 and 17 as Paul says "For I am not ashamed of the gospel; it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith, to the Jews first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed through faith for faith; as it is written, 'The one who is righteous will live by faith.'"

Today is an important day for me, and I pray that I will not shrink from God's call. I am not ashamed of the Gospel, it is the power of God for salvation in my life and in the world!

I am anxious to read this theology book with you and to listen as the Spirit of God blows through our fellowship!

3 comments:

mw said...

Wow, Paul enters the ring and immediately throws a flurry of punches...

I love the attitude of "I am not hear to tell you what you WANT to hear - I am hear to tell you what you NEED to hear"! (I think I heard that in Boonville a few times)

I am embarassed to read verses 28 -32. I can look back and see myself in many of those categories as I grew up.

Truth be told, I still struggle with several of them today. The good news is that I am now able to recognize my mistakes, repent, and once again try to be more Christ-like. (oh how short I fall)

Thank God for His grace, patience, forgiveness and love!

Hoo Rah!

Lynn said...

Mark, I also am not very proud of most of my past. If we only knew then what we know now and have yet to learn. Words do not describe God our Father who did not turn US over to OUR OWN desires and let US pay the price. Praise be to God! And thank you Lord Jesus!

Beth Quick said...

I like in this chapter Paul's talking about mutually encouraging one another and sharing spiritual gifts for each other's growth in faith. I'm trying to think of the people I love to be around because I know I will be challenged and encouraged in my faith - I think we all need to cultivate those relationships.