Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mark 11

Hi Friends, late again as I was in Oneida all day with our Mohawk District Board of Ministry. I will be there all day tomorrow too, but I will try to blog before I leave the house at 7:30AM.

WOW - I told you Mark was in a hurry didn't I? How can we already be reading the "Triumphal Entry" scriptures - the day many in the Christian Church call Palm Sunday and our Jewish heritage called Lamb Selection Day.

This is the day prescribed by tradition for the Hebrews to select a lamb for their Passover observation. In the midst of that it is interesting and telling that Jesus offers them himself - "the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the whole world" in John the baptists words from John 1:29. And the crowds select Jesus! They cry out "Hosanna! Save Us!" But they were not looking for the gift that Jesus came to offer. They wanted, for the most part, relief from their immediate struggles caused chiefly by the occupying forces of Rome. Jesus offered them and offers us a peace that goes beyond our categories.

It is interesting to me that in the same way Mark has rushed through 3 years in 10 chapters he no lingers over the next 6 days for 4 chapters and then seems to hurry through the resurrection and ascension.

5 comments:

Darlynne said...

A couple of questions. 1. What is the signifigance or the purpose of the colt that has never been ridden. 2. In verse 11 Jesus enters the temple, looks around and leaves. What is he looking for? Both of these details must be there for a reason.

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Darlynne,
1) There are some Old Testament refrences - Numbers 19:2; Deuteronomy 21:3; 1 Samuel 6:7 - that call for animals that had not been put to normal use yet for sacred service. Perhaps this is why a colt that had never been ridden is called for. Zechariah 9:9 is the prophesy fulfilled here.
2) In Matthew and Luke Jesus goes right in and cleanses the temple, here in Mark he goes in and looks around, goes out and curses the fig tree on the following day and then cleanses the temple. Perhaps Mark has him in the outer courts one day and in to cleanse it the next day, or maybe he was just looking things over for tomorrows confrontation in Mark.

Abed-melech said...

It baffles me that Jesus directed His anger [righteous indignation]towards a fig tree. This is an example of a human trait that we sometimes represent when we are wronged. we must [as christians] direct our anger towards the correct issues.
Actually we shouldn't have an angry trait, but that is a human condition.

Beth Quick said...

The fig tree incident is really strange, but I guess it is there just for Jesus to be able to respond to Peter about faith and what one can accomplish by faith - even if using your faith to curse a fig tree seems like a silly plan.

I love how Jesus boxes the authorities into a corner by returning a question with another question. I'm always reminded of seeing this staged in an excellent production of Godspell, with all the religious leaders pouting with arms crossed...

mw said...

I tried to picture me going to my neighbor's house and untying one of his horses, telling him that the Lord had need of it.
I am not sure I could outrun a bullet.
Mark doesn't tell us if the owners of the colt were believers or followers of Christ. How would they know to let it go?
Would God have sent an Angel or a vision to the owners, telling them to let it be used?
I do not want to take these verses for granted - there is a lesson here - I just know it!

Forgiveness and prayer (vs 25 - 26); another favorite of mine.
I hate to admit how many times I struggled, condemning people who wronged me...while making excuses or justifying the wrongs I did to others.

I have been convicted by this verse many times, but it has taught me to forgive much, much quicker. (and possibly lowered my blood pressure, too)

Hoo Rah! Thank you Lord Jesus!!