Thursday, January 10, 2008

Mark 8

We are half way through the gospel today. As I sit here to write my brother BJ is preparing to have eye surgery in Syracuse. My post pneumonia asthma prevents me from being with him physically, but I have been praying for him and trust he'll do fine. It is particularly striking because of the content of chapter 8.

Beginning in vs 22 Jesus heals a blind man in Bethsaida. Jesus takes him aside and puts saliva on his eyes and the man says "I can see people, but they are like trees walking." So Jesus lays his hands on him again. This time his sight is completely restored and he sees everything clearly. Jesus sends him home instructing him not to even go back into the village.

I wonder how often my healing needs a second touch from Jesus. Things are better, but not quite right yet. Our society trains us to pretend we're fine even when we're not, but I think it is important for us to be honest with ourselves and with Jesus when we're not quite whole yet.

Chapter 8 ends with Peter's declaration about who Jesus is. It's a great question from Jesus to the disciples - one that we all should be confronted with - "Who do YOU say that I am?" Again, Jesus sternly warns them not to tell anyone about him.

We are half way through the Gospel of Mark and Jesus reveals to the disciples his future suffering death and resurrection. This theme will continue now throughout the balance of the gospel until Jesus triumphal Palm Sunday entry into Jerusalem.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Bill, although chapter 9 verse 1 is in tomorrow's reading, it belongs to chapter 8. Therefore a question today, rather than tomorrow. In your interpretation, does this verse pertain to the Transfiguration taking place 6 days later, which demonstrated that Jesus will return "in His Father's glory" (Matthew16:27) or does it pertain to the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost and the start of the "Church"?

Pastor Bill said...

Lynn,
Excellent question and I am not copping out when I answer that I think both.

It seems that Jesus words are used by Mark to foreshadow the transfiguration, but I believe they may have been meant by Jesus to prefigure the Kingdom events that were about to break lose. These events include the Transfiguration, the Reurrection, His appearing to the disciples during the 40 days following Resurrection and finally Pentecost.
Often the things Jesus said were and probably are misinterpreted by his disciples then and now.

Bill

Beth Quick said...

I guess since lent is almost here I'm most focused on the end part - "take up your cross and follow me." I always feel conflicted between the desire for bigger and more in churches and the reality that taking up crosses and following Jesus isn't likely to be a popular idea. What is my cross? Am I actually carrying it and following Christ? I really struggle with that sometimes, if I'm really responding to this call or not...