Friday, January 4, 2008

Mark 4

In the parable of the sower in Mark 4 Jesus talks about 4 different results found in the sowing of seeds. Sowing seeds in this culture was a random scattering method where the seeds would be broadly broadcast in an area. Much different than our focused careful planting methods today. In the parable some of the seed fell on the path, some on rocks, some in thorns and some in good soil.

The seeds that fall on the path are quickly plucked up and have no lasting impact. The seeds that fall in the rocks spring up quickly, but because there is no depth of soil in which to root, they soon die off. The seeds that fall in the thorns grow up only to be choked off and killed by the thorns. Finally some seeds fall on good soil and grow and produces 30, 60 and 100 fold increases.

As I read this parable I come back to one of the primary tasks for me as a Christ follower and as a pastor. I find all 4 types of soil in my life and in the lives of the people in my care. There are areas in my life and in the lives of the people I pastor that are hard packed and inflexible, areas that are interested in truth but shallow, areas that are fertile but already preoccupied with non-Kingdom issues, and there are areas of good fertile soil.

I feel my call is to help reclaim all of these fields by working the corner of the vineyard to which I am assigned. I am here to pick rocks, to break up hard hearts, to clear out thorn bushes and nurture the fertile areas – in my life and in the lives I come into contact with where ever and when ever possible. Part of the task is to identify the areas that need attention and fight the complacency in my own life and in the lives of others. The first and hardest task is the work that needs to be done in me.

2 comments:

Beth Quick said...

I really stopped over the verse about the "cares of the world" and "it yields nothing" in this reading. Maybe wealth isn't alluring to me, but the cares of this world are sometimes very distracting to me from doing what I feel called to be doing. Of all these 'scenarios', that's the one that most prevents me from bearing good fruit I think.

I also pauses over the verse about those having being given more, and those who have little having that taken away. I know someone in my current ministry setting who very much interprets that verse in a way that means God wants the rich to be rewarded with more and vise versa. He's very into things like "The Secret."

Charlene said...

As I read this chapter I started thinking of the methods for planting used today. Some seeds are planted in an area that has drought conditions, but others find ways to hold the plants to life by irrigating. Soils that are not as rich as others are provided with fertilizer. That fertilizer can enrich, but it can also burn the plants. Too much of a good thing can hurt. Plants still require care. The watchful sower sees to their needs. Some seeds get all the water, fertilizer, and care they need, but end up making nothing of their lives and even contaminating others with toxic bacteria. Others flourish with only minimal care and go on to repeat the cycle.I'd like to be a daisy that requires little maintenance, but brightens a day.