Monday, September 29, 2008

Matthew 11

This week we will continue our journey together through the Gospel of Matthew. This week please read the following chapters; Monday - Matthew 11, Tuesday - Matthew 12, Wednesday - Matthew 13, Thursday - Matthew 14, and Friday - Matthew 15.

In Matthew 11 Jesus continues his ministry after sending his disciples into the harvest field. I can only imagine that what happens on the way must have been one of the harder moments of Jesus' ministry.

Disciples of John the Baptist seek Jesus out with a question from John, "When John heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples and said to him, "Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?" Matthew 11:2-3 NRSV. John had been faithful to his mission. He had made the way straight for the coming kingdom, and now he is in prison. I imagine John must have wondered if he had somehow missed the point. If Jesus is the Messiah, and if John had done his task well, what is the deal?

Jesus' answer to the disciples of John is somewhat unsatisfactory. He said, "Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me." Matthew 11:4-6 NRSV. The good news, it seems to me is "Yes, I am the Messiah and I am doing the Messiahs business!" The bad news as I read between the lines is "Don't get offended John, but I am not coming to break you out of jail." A lesson for us here may be that real life is not a Hollywood script, and God does not see our situations the same way we do.

Jesus goes on to commend John with the highest accolades - but John dies soon after in prison.

Chapter 11 closes with Jesus' call to the masses to follow him as disciples, "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 NRSV. While Jesus' yoke and burden are lighter and easier than that of the worlds, my good friend Aaron reminds me that it is still a yoke, and it is still a burden! If you don't believe Aaron or me, ask John the Baptist!

2 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Another great chapter.
I love the verses about the yoke. There's a Casting Crowns song that uses those verses in it, and it's very powerful. It is a yoke, and I'll agree with that - but I can't imagine doing it alone. Picture yourself holding up what the bull carried with the yoke, all by yourself...and then re-picture it with Jesus on the other side. I'll take the yoke/burden if it means help from our Lord and Savior. What a blessing. This world is not easy, and taking it alone seems unbearable/impossible after knowing what the Lord has to offer us.
The verses 2-3 are so cool, even though they don't give John the exact answer he wanted to hear, they still tell an amazing story. Can you imagine if someone asked you where you were/what you were doing and you said "I'm healing people, making blind see, etc..." That'd be pretty cool. I'll think about that when I'm trying to do good - what if we did things like Christ did and could tell a similar story? What are you doing? "Healing..."
ttys,
Love Marsh

Beth Quick said...

I guess I've focused so much on the separate sections of this chapter that I've never focused on them as a unit - what a whirlwind, and how Jesus' mood seems to vary here, from talking about John, to talking harshly to cities that rejected him, to then ending with such words of comfort (even as they challenge.)

I love how Jesus points out the way people respond to him and to John, never pleased no matter how God speaks to them.

And the end - the yoke, the rest with responsibility. One of my favorite images.