Thursday, September 11, 2008

2 Timothy 3

Paul offers a word of caution and encouragement here to Timothy. Paul has seen a great deal of the worst that humanity had to offer in this life. He has been imprisoned, beaten, slandered and nearly killed several times for his stance on Jesus the Messiah. He warns Timothy that times will get even worse! "For people will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, brutes, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to the outward form of godliness but denying its power. Avoid them!" 2 Timothy 2:2-5 NRSV. I must admit, in my most cynical moments this portion of 2 Timothy sounds very much like the age we live in - even sometimes within the church!

Paul again refers back to his own example for Timothy. Timothy has watched as Paul has suffered and been victorious, now Paul calls Timothy - and you and me- to step up and be brave. "Indeed, all who want to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." 2 Timothy 2:12 NRSV. Just like Jesus before him, Paul does not deceive us with false promises of ease in this world. I don't know where we get the illusion that the life of faith will be a life of ease, but it is NOT from Jesus or from Paul for that matter!

My dear friend, Rev. Dr. BJ Norrix, wrote in his blog a few weeks ago a thought that I will borrow here. BJ said, "Someone once wrote (and for the life of me I cannot remember who) that Jesus only promised three things to his followers. 1. That they would be in constant trouble. 2. That they would be absolutely fearless. and, 3. That they would be ridiculously happy. I suppose I can handle a little despite and rejection if it is the price to live in unspeakable joy." (http://drbjthoughts.blogspot.com/ from Monday July 28)

Finally, this chapter ends with an inspiring word about Scripture. "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work. " 2 Timothy 2:16-17 NRSV. Friends, we do not need to "fix" this precious gift called the Bible. It is not broken, in fact it is a tool to fix us! To equip us for every good work. What are you equipped for within the Body of Christ? Are you using your gifts for the glory of God?

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah! When I read that section of 2 Timothy (2-5), I really do see this age also. It's crazy to think about how much you can see all the problems and issues that the Bible says will come, in the days of now.
So as far as the easy life thing, maybe people read the "Life to the full" verse a little too narrowly, and think that that means easy. It is difficult to be strong in the faith, and especially be a representative. With out crazy economy and stuff where money rules everything, I would imagine if I said I wanted to be a pastor or something like that, people would always give me coments about worrying about money or something... I think I've talked to my brother about that since he's in Young Life ministry professionally.
But the price of happiness? That's right, it's all right here with Jesus, price paid!
I love the verses about the Bible being true and uselful for what we need - that's great. It's good to show to new believers, to those people who want to argue the Bible. It's already perfect, why mess with it?
So glad we have it to study and help us live our lives.
God bless,
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Marshall,

Idols come in allshapes and sizes. I know I have struggled with not letting my wife and kids (now grandkids too!) become idols that might seperate me from God. keep fighting the good fight my brother!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah - you're right. I love family too. I sometimes worry that I'm too food-oriented.
haha.
We all have our other idols pulling us in other ways...but Jesus still remains in the heart.
It's great, and focused greatness is even better!
Ty
Marsh

Beth Quick said...

When reading those first verses, it is no wonder that people in all times and places have thought the end was near. For when have we ever been other than lovers of ourselves and money, etc.

Again, I like the mention of Timothy being raised in the faith - probably so neat for Paul since it was still such a rarity to have those that had known the faith all their lives.