Thursday, September 18, 2008

Matthew 4

After Jesus is baptized, and as his ministry begins he is led off into the wilderness to confront his flesh -- his humanity. The wilderness is often used in literature as a symbol for our inner struggles, and this is the location for Jesus confrontation with the enemy of our souls, the devil.

Jesus has just fasted for 40 days and nights and the NRSV translates his condition as "famished". I find that my enemy often comes to me in the moments of my weakness, when I am "tired, lonely, hungry" as the 12 Step Programs caution. When I am vulnerable, when I feel sad or in need, I often receive an offer to address the problem in sinful ways. If you experience these struggles, join me in taking the example of Jesus in his temptation. As the temptations are laid before him, Jesus uses the Word of God to refute and refuse the offers.

As Jesus returns from the wilderness he finds that John the Baptist has been arrested. Jesus leaves Nazareth and makes his home at Capernaum by the Sea. This will be his base camp for the bulk of his earthly ministry. It is here that he meets and calls his first disciples, Andrew and Simon called Rocky (Peter) and The Thunder Brothers James and John.

These early days of ministry were heady days indeed. Matthew's account of the stir Jesus and his disciples made reads, "So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought to him all the sick, those who were afflicted with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, and paralytics, and he cured them. And great crowds followed him from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea, and from beyond the Jordan." Matthew 4:24-25 NRSV. Imagine what it must have been like to be the disciples as they walked in the inner circle of this ground swell of support and love. It makes an interesting contrast to the bleak days of the passion.

Where are you in your journey with Jesus friend? Are you struggling with doubts and persecution, or are you in the days of victory and celebration? Keep your eyes on Jesus. Keep your eyes on Jesus, no matter what is happening around you. Situations and people change and come and go, God changes NOT.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup. I agree that when temptations are laid in front of you. The best way is to remember God's word.

I admit that I used to use computers to do things that make me lust. But after one friend who had a similar problem shared with me this verse "Put to death, therefore whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry" Col 3:5 I thanks God that he ever shared it with me. Now when such thoughts come, I remember and avoid.

Though born in a Christian family and been a Christian for many years, I think the journey is just starting. But I hope that I learn much to trust God and lay my life for Him. Amen.

Jet (SG)

Pastor Bill said...

Jet,

It is an honor to journey with you. Check out chapter 5 and the reat of the sermon on the mount (Chapters 5,6 and 7).

Thanks for the good advice on truning form sin too!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Great comments guys. What a crazy chapter - to see our Lord and Savior tempted by the devil - he has put in front of him all of these wonderful things, but he says, don't worry, I can handle it. If he had just said a few words, he could have had the Angels come save him as the Devil was proding him to do, but he didn't...that's what makes his testimony and life all the more powerful. I really do enjoy this story, because it shows us that through Jesus, we can endure the hardest and most difficult temptations.
I like your verse also, Jet. I'll have to put that on the wall somewhere where I can see it often. Maybe in the car when I'm ready to complain about the other drivers....
I had a question about the names of the disciples. Are they translated at all? Were they really called Simon and Andrew and James and John back then, or is that just the English equivelant? It seems crazy to think that they have these English names pop out as they're speaking their native languages, but hey, what do I know...
Jesus was great- I would have love to have been one of those guys who got to spend so much time with him. Can you imagine?
Let us focus on his love and the impact he has on our lives.
Love Marsh

Beth Quick said...

The interaction between Jesus and Satan strikes me because both use scripture to make their point. Satan uses it as a weapon, taking pieces out of context, but Jesus has a view of the whole.

I also note "immediately." Immediately they responded to his call. Hm...