Friday, September 19, 2008

Matthew 5

As Jesus begins his ministry, he has called his first disciples and now he will publicly present his rabbinic platform, or his theological position paper (midrash).

As the people gather around him on the hill side, Jesus begins systematically to discuss why he is here, and to cast his vision for the Kingdom of God. The Beatitudes are one of the best known pieces of this sermon - the longest sermon we have recorded form Jesus. I have come to believe that these pronouncements in the beatitudes are not meant as "bumper sticker platitudes", but that they move progressively through our brokenness towards salvation and Kingdom living.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. "Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy. "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:3-12 NRSV. Jesus begins with those who are poor in spirit - realizing the bankrupt position of our spiritual live is the first step towards wholeness. When one realizes that they are spiritually destitute, there are two place to turn, Jesus and everything else! There is a restlessness in every person, an emptiness that we seek to fill. We may try to fill this void with anything and everything, but until we allow God to fill the emptiness we live in spiritual poverty. You are blessed when you realize this and begin the Kingdom journey.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." When we face our emptiness and our brokenness it is a normal reaction to mourn. Our sinfulness and separation from God can cause us a great deal of pain. Again, when one finds themselves here there will be two offers of comfort, one from God and one that could be anything else. We must choose to be comforted only by God.

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." The word translated meek here is often translated as humble. When we know our poverty ad have mourned our separation from God humility is a natural next state. I have found in my life that I am drawn to humility in others. Haughtiness is repelling, but the world is drawn to true humility and gentleness.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." It is a striking thing to be with people that are truly hungry for righteousness. Their hunger reminds me of my own desperate craving for more of God. Again, it seems there are two offers made to fill this hunger, Jesus - and everything else. Choose Jesus.

"Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy." When you take this journey from poverty of Spirit to hungering after God one of the results should be a merciful soul. When I know my lack and my sinfulness, how can I sit in the pharisees seat and judge any others sin, or try to keep the from faith? Lord, keep us in your mercy.

Too much ground to cover here in Jesus sermon, but as Jesus moves on, he expands the call of God to righteousness. When I say this I mean he makes sets the bar for righteousness higher - not lower! Jesus says, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. "You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times..." Matthew 5:17-21a NRSV.

I do not believe this sounded like good news to those listening. How could they possibly out righteous the pharisees? And how could a person not get angry, or look at another with lustful eyes, or wish they had what they did not? I believe Jesus is setting the groundwork for all to know that salvation by being good and keeping the law was impossible for us! We need a savior!

This chapter closes with the words, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." The sermon so far has shown me again the poverty of my spiritual life and mourn the separation I experience from God. Lord, come and save us!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Jesus do show how inadequate and imperfect we are. We really need a savior. We can't do this alone.

Jet (SG)

p.s just for your info. My name is Jethro Tan. Singaporean-Chinese. 17.
I'm using this blog as quiet time materials as I think it's not too difficult for me and I spent a lot of time online. Thanks God that you saw my old blog and commented on it. Thus I found your blog. Hope that we can learn from each other.

Pastor Bill said...

Jet,

It is an honor to journey with you.

My name is Bill and I am a 48 year old pastor from the united States. I am married amd I am a father of 4 and a grandfather of 2! One of my daughters is 16 - will be 17 in 3 weeks!

God bless you friend.

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marshall Bailey said...

Wow - so many things in this chapter. So much to say. One time, we had leadership weekend at Saranac for Young Life, and this southern preacher guy came to be the speaker. He spent the whole weekend telling us about the sermon on the mount, and had some amazing things to say. In the end, he told us all to go out and "knock 'em necked," while keeping these scriptures in our heart, referring to the students whose lives we would cross paths with.
I find it really interesting how you go into looking at this scripture. Could it be that Jesus was really showing us that we could not be humble? Could it be that he was demonstrating to us how serious the law of his Father was? It sure does pave the way to show that Jesus, our savior, is the only answer. These burnt offerings and/or sacrifices just aren't/weren't doing it.
Praise God for scripture like this to help us to know how Jesus saw our faith! Thanks again for carving through this scripture.
God bless,
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

This summer one of my parishioner directed Godspell, based mostly on the Sermon on the Mount. We arranged to have the kids come perform a big chunk for worship one Sunday, and I loved how they got excited to hear me read from this chapter in worship - somehow they hadn't realized that all their lines were directly words of scripture! I think it brought it full circle for them and for us, since now I visualize their staging when I read these verses! So, so much in this chapter.

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Beth and Marshall,

I am just taking time this afternon to look back and see some of the other posts - mostly by you two - and thought I'd say thanks for keeping at this blog with me!

The Sermon on the Mount may contain all I need - I know, I know that's a bit much, but what a treasure trove of life lessons!
Bill