Thursday, September 4, 2008

1 Timothy 4

As Paul speaks into the life of his young disciple he warns him (and us) about the deceptions that are common to human beings. The ideas expressed are symptoms of the tendency we have to create religious observances and impose them on ourselves and others that replace relationship with Godself.

The specific warnings are, "Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will renounce the faith by paying attention to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the hypocrisy of liars whose consciences are seared with a hot iron. They forbid marriage and demand abstinence from foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected, provided it is received with thanksgiving;" 1 Timothy 4:1-4 NRSV, but the root of this issue is the extra layers and regulations we tend to load up on people.

I wonder if there are traditions of ours that are extraneous layers of ritual that serve only to separate people from intimacy with God?

Paul continues to encourage Tim in the heart of his relationship with God, "Until I arrive, give attention to the public reading of scripture, to exhorting, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you through prophecy with the laying on of hands by the council of elders. Put these things into practice, devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress. Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; continue in these things, for in doing this you will save both yourself and your hearers." 1 Timothy 4:13-16 NRSV.

I believe today God is whispering to me to get back to the foundational basic things of my relationship with God. Religion is often attractive to me because it is controllable, while a relationship with the God of all creation is sometimes inconvenient and terrifying! Lord, come and walk with me in an intimate way that reminds me of our first love. Draw me back to you.

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

This passage contains a verse that I have been trying to live in my life from the moment I heard it for the first time at Camp Aldersgate as a youngin'. 1 Tim 4:12 - "Do not be looked down upon because you are young, but be an example for other believers in your speech, behavior, love, faithfulness, and purity." Let me tell you, that's not so easy. It's so hard for most to look past the fact that you are young, and I felt that the most when I told people Sara and I were getting married at 21...but we made it!
Paul is very encouraging in these passages, and he does tell us to keep our focus where God wants it, in the scriptures, and teaching.
An unconrollable relationship with God. That's an interesting thought. You're probably right, what we have with him is not so controllable. It can certainly be wild and crazy! We don't know what to expect, what his plan will bring, but we do know that he wants us to trust. Sara and I have been blessed so much by trusting in God the past few months - everything has just fallen into place very well. I was nervous and worried about so much, but at the last minute, when I gave it to God, it all worked out.
Stay focused, it's worth it.
Thanks Bill. I'm with you on remembering our first love with God.
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Marshall,

A long time ago, I was young!

I remember preaching in any church that would let me in when I was 18, and I was appointed as pastor to my first churches (Cherry Valley and Salt Springville) when I was 23.
You do an excellent job of balancing the respect Paul calls out of Timothy for elders and the courage that is required in these verses. Well done friend - keep at it!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah, respect is important too. Maybe that's why we're looked down upon so much - we don't always respect, we just want?
who knows. I'm in a crazy generation.
-Marsh

Beth Quick said...

"Do not neglect the gift that is in you." Mom always talks about if we receive a gift, how rude it would be to ignore it or refuse to open it, and how that's like not using our gifts from God.

I think we probably do add many extra layers to what God really requires of us.