Friday, September 12, 2008

2 Timothy 4

This final chapter of Paul's letter to Timothy is almost too intimate and brave for us to be privileged to read. How noble, how fearless and how in love with God is the Apostle in Chains? I know he is haughty, I understand that he is said to have been arrogant, but as his life here seems to be ebbing away, his writing is more touching than I remember.

He gives his most heartfelt and firm command for Timothy to stay faithful to the gospel message, "In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I solemnly urge you: 2 proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favorable or unfavorable; convince, rebuke, and encourage, with the utmost patience in teaching." 2 Timothy 4:1-2 NRSV.

Paul's word's to Timothy inspire the best in my service. "As for you, always be sober, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, carry out your ministry fully. As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:5-8 NRSV.

On another personal note, notice that Paul asks Timothy to bring his cloak because it is cold, but whatever he does don't forget the parchments -- the copies of the scriptures. The Word was more important even than personal comfort.

We are in a great procession of saints my friends. We stand on the shoulders of giants. "The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you." 2 Timothy 4:22 NRSV.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always felt a certain kinship with Tim. Perhaps that will fade in time, but for now I feel like Paul is talking to and encouraging me. Just like when I am with you and the other two.

Pastor Bill said...

I am honored to have you include me that way - sometimes I catch myself refering to you as my son in the faith, but you are gracious enough to also treat me like a brother so I don't feel too old!

Love you Aaron.
Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow I didn't post on this one yet either.
What an encouraging scripture. It really is a great way to end both of the Timothy letters. I do see what you're saying about him getting more heartfelt as he got older - being sure to tell us the right things to do, but also reflecting on his own life. I hope I can say some of the things that he said about "fighting the good fight" when my life is coming to an end. It's still so crazy to think about where Paul was in his earlier days, and how strong his faith was as his life came to an end. What a testimony for us!
I long for his appearing!
I think it's really great that he was more focused on the word then his warmth too. Have you ever said "don't worry about the food, just make sure you bring the Bible this weekend!" I've forgotten my Bible before when I've left home - and that's just not right. The word is more nourishing and important than anything else we could bring with us - so how does it often slip by?
Lord Help me to be more like Paul in his reverence.

Beth Quick said...

"proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favorable or unfavorable" - This verse jumped out at me, given the frustrations I sometimes feel in my current appointment. Whether the time is good or bad, preach the message. That makes it seem very simple, doesn't it? :)