Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Matthew 3

John the baptist comes onto the scene and does so with a great splash. John the Baptist was the first prophet to arise out of Israel in hundreds of years, and I can only imagine he made quite a stir! The text describes him this way, "Now John wore clothing of camel's hair with a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey." Matthew 3:4 NRSV. My imagination runs wild as I picture him raging against the sin and complacency within the church leadership of his day, sweet honey breath and a locust leg stuck in his beard.

The locust eating always fascinated me as a kid. locust, like over sized grass hoppers that I was very familiar with, did not seem like food! Perhaps that is why people later called the carob fruit from that region "St. John's Bread". It seems too odd to think he really ate locust, or does it? Did you know that Levitical Law declares the locust a fit food? "All winged insects that walk upon all fours are detestable to you. But among the winged insects that walk on all fours you may eat those that have jointed legs above their feet, with which to leap on the ground. Of them you may eat: the locust according to its kind, the bald locust according to its kind, the cricket according to its kind, and the grasshopper according to its kind." Leviticus 11:20-22 NRSV. Also, every time the Greek word "akris" is used elsewhere it means the bug, not a fruit. Time for breakfast!

At any rate, John comes as the "Elijah" to foretell the Messiah's coming. He is a fiery preacher and baptizes many in the Jordan calling all to repentance in preparing their hearts for the coming Messiah.

Jesus also comes to John to be baptized and Matthew simply informs us that John would have prevented it, deferring to Jesus to baptize him! The text reads as follows, "Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfill all righteousness." Then he consented. And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased." Matthew 3:13-17 NRSV.

A powerful introduction to the ministry years of Jesus. John the Baptist had a brief ministry track by our standards, but he offered himself as a servant fulfilling the call God had on his life and talent. Are you, am I freely offering ourselves to God for use in the Kingdom in whatever manner God may chose, or do you, like me, often have unspoken conditions on your obedience? Lord, use us today as ever you will.

7 comments:

Abed-melech said...

I am facinated by John the Baptist, but he makes me think about my own judgemental actions. I'm sure if I was to see John the Baptist walking down the street, I would cross to the other side rather than take a chance on getting to know him (or have him invite me to share his lunch!). How cool would it be to hang out with him? It's very frustrating for me to be so human! I would love to truly "not be of this world", but don't know if I have what it takes to pull it off!

Pastor, Abed-melech and I are still with you and finally caught up. Keep up the great encouragement and blog.

Mrs Abed-melech

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Mrs. Servant of the King!

I don't know if I have ever seen you on here before, welcome!

JB is a fascinating character indeed. When you see a camel hair, leather belt wearing long haired, honey and locust eating prophet on Main Street in Boonville, I am sure you will act with grace! After all, you have always been good to me...

Bill

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I agree that sometimes we are still hesitant in handing our life to God. It's strange to me that we know that for God, nothing is impossible. But sometimes we still doubt him or am afraid we will have disadvantage when we do(like we have to commit totally).

But I believe we will learn to know how to surrender our life into God's hand and let him use us, when we trust and do everything for the Lord.

Jethro (SG)

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Jet,

In some ways, our relationship with God is like other relationships. We need to grow and practice committment, andwhn we do we will find God to be faithful. When we experience God's love and faithfulness everyday we can commit more and more into God's care. Our faith and relationship with God grows deeper if we put time and effort into it!

Great to hear from you friend.

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

That is such a great intro to the ministry life of Jesus. Can you imagine being John the Baptist? He knew who Jesus was and what he was capable of, yet he was asked to baptize this man who was God? Talk about intimidating! Jesus knew that he had to do the right things, so that he could never be questioned of the beginning of his faith or his Baptism. After all, if he's God in the flesh, who could baptise him on this Earth? No one would be "above" him. John the Baptist comparison to Pastor Bill - oh boy. I'll try to find you some honey-soaked locust! Delish!
It's an exciting journey after this, as it is in our lives when we rely on him. Help me to rely on you Lord, and go the way that you have outlined for me.
Marsh

Beth Quick said...

I like that Jesus was baptized - to me that says a lot about our theology of baptism - somehow fits with reminding us that it is an outward sign of God's always present love for us. I have so many people come to me for a child's baptism that still think of it as something you do so the child won't go to hell. How that misses the mark of what is meant to be a gift to us, a reminder of God's ever-present love!