Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Philippians 4

As we finish our read through Paul's letter to the church in Philippi, I wonder if you have noticed how many "favorite" verses there are in these 4 chapters. It has been hard not to comment on every one of them, and this 4th chapter is no easier!

When I was in seminary, Shari (my wife) and I were struggling to live on practically nothing. I was serving 2 churches, we were newly weds, i was a full time student, and we were having babies! All of this on no money. At the height of our struggle we stumbled across these verses, "Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:6-9 NRSV. I remember hurrying home and reading those words with Shari. We took paper and markers and put several posters of these scriptures where we would see them all during the day. In a real way, these verses were, and still are, a life raft for us.

Believe me, I know that Paul's circumstances were far more bleak that ours, but his call to thanksgiving, and peace, and later proclaiming that he could do all things through Christ (vs 13) inspired us and inspires me still!

It has been refreshing to read through these words again especially now as our economy and country in general are spinning. As we head into next months election these words give me a calm assurance that my hope is not in any politician, or in my feeble righteousness, but my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness!

4 comments:

Beth Quick said...

Verse 8 used to be my favorite - something about thinking about "excellent things" really appealed to my junior high mind ;) Made Paul's words seem very accessible.

I also like the mention of Euodia and Syntyche. Wish we knew more about them!

Pastor Bill said...

I still go back to these verses and many others in Philippians for comfort. Paul really enjoyed Philippi and the love shows through.

Eudia and Syntyche - aren't they the base player and drummer for one of Jim's heavy mental bands?

Love Bill

Beth Quick said...

Haha - goofy Uncle Bill ;)

Marshall Bailey said...

What an incredible chapter, eh? It means a lot to me that you were able to really live off of these verses when you were newly weds – what a blessing to be able to really live through that and live to tell! Haha. Sara and I have been living a little on faith these past few months, especially in the past year to move our wedding up a year. We’ve put things in God’s hands as much as we can, and it has certainly proven to be EXCELLENT. I’m looking back and seeing things work out better than I could have imagined, where answers to issues came forward better than I could have ever dreamed of.
Funny that this chapter came up on my reading today; we just used Ph 4:6-7 in the Young Life Bible study with the kids yesterday. It’s great to tell the new believers how much we really need to hand over our things to God, and not worry about anything the way that we do – it’s in His hands.
Phil 4:13 has been huge for me. My mentor for confirmation gave me a paperweight/rock that has this verse on it. I set it by my computer at home and it has gotten me through MANY late night paper-writing sessions – no joke. What was funny was that when we got into our apartment, the dude came to install Road Runner, and he saw the rock on my desk and said “nice rock.” He hadn’t said much the whole time and kind of sounded like he had no personality, then right before he left he commented on the rock. I was excited – then we had a brief conversation about where we go to church and how faith is really important. Just another reminder that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (words to live by!)
MARSH