Thursday, October 16, 2008

Matthew 24

Matthew 24 deals with a topic that interests many people today - the end times. as Jesus leaves the contentious meeting he has had with the pharisees, he points out to the disciples that the day is coming when not one stone will be left on top of another at the temple. The disciples ask him a question we all would like to have answered - "When?".

Jesus gives them the beginning signs of the end of all things, "Beware that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah!' and they will lead many astray. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not alarmed; for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places: all this is but the beginning of the birth pangs." Matthew 24:4-8 NRSV. All of these things we can show records of having happened.

It is interesting that Jesus says here "But the one who endures to the end will be saved." Matthew 24:13 NRSV, and "And if those days had not been cut short, no one would be saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." Matthew 24:22 NRSV. This makes it sound like the elect will endure at least part of the tribulation that is to come.

I know that there are many different heart felt opinions about the rapture and when it will take place, I am not an authority on this topic and I do not mean to propose a time or date for the end of all things, in fact I am content to hear the words of Jesus and leave the dates and times to God. Hear him when he says, "But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Matthew 24:36 NRSV.

I will simply advise all who wonder to live ready for the coming of the Lord. What do you want the Lord to find you doing when He returns? i want to be found loving and laughing, giving and caring. I want to live that way today and as long as God cares to give me breath. I will trust God with the loftier matters of eternity.

4 comments:

Beth Quick said...

I remember being advised when I was little that I was too young to read Revelation - that it was too scary. But when I finally read it, I just felt comforted, because it seemed to me to say that if I was faithful I'd be ok. Maybe I had more confidence then at 10 or so that I could so easily be faithful. But I guess my point is that that's how I read this chapter today: it's always hopeful for those who are disciples. And always telling us not to worry about the details - just be ready, as we should always be ready.

Pastor Bill said...

Be ready. Very good advice - if I am living ready, I will be loving the Lord with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength, and I will be loving my neighbor as myself.

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Hello there,
I have always been pretty interested in the rapture, because everyone that you work with when talking about the faith asks about it. We must be heading into revelation sometime soon with this bible study, which will actually be the first time that I've read it. I'm interested, but I have been wary of reading it because there's so much controversy sometimes, and I don't want people to think that I am a master on the topic - kinda like you were saying Bill, only God will know!
Jesus says some really interesting things in this chapter, and it makes you wonder when you think of how the world is today - and how it has been other times. Countries waging war, people doing bad things, etc...I guess it just makes you wonder to what extent does Jesus want these things to occur, and to what extent we are at right now. Crazy to think about isn't it?
I will be ready, as best I can - loving, caring, sharing the gospel, praying, reading, and doing what God allows me to do in this world.
Guess that's the best we can do, right? Be ready, and not be afraid. Be confident in your faith, and know.
ttys,
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Marshall,

The blog is back and up to date!

You seem to have some of the same feelings around eschatology as I do, but we'll wade through it together and try to see what the Bible says - not necessarily what everyones opinions are!

Maybe I'll get to see you two during the holidays?

Bill