Friday, October 17, 2008

Matthew 25

As Jesus' last days with his disciples draw to a close he tells them another parable about the end of the world. Here he compares the second coming to 10 virgins that await the coming of their bridegroom. Five of the women have oil for their lamps and five of them foolishly do not bring oil for their lamps. Those who are unprepared for the bridegrooms arrival are shut out of the banquet, and even their calling and pleading could not gain them entrance.

He follows this with another parable about a man who embarks on a journey after entrusting his riches to three servants. To one of the servants he gave five talents, to another two talents and to the other one talent. While he was gone two of the servants invested and doubled what had been entrusted to them. the third servant who had been entrusted with only one talent hid his masters money and did not invest it. When the master returned he commended the wise servants, but he takes the one talent away from the last servant, gives it to the servant with ten talents and casts the unfaithful servant out of the kingdom.

Finally Jesus gives a fairly clear account of the reception some will receive when the Kingdom comes. To those who have been faithful and kind the Lord will turn and reward them for their kindness with these words, "'Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.'" Matthew 25:34-36 NRSV. While he will speak just as clearly to all who do not care for their brothers and sisters with these words, '"You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me."' Matthew 25:41-43 NRSV.

Friends, measure yourself today. Are you prepared for the Lord's return? Are you faithfully using the gifts God has given in the Kingdoms service? Are you reaching and loving the least, the last, and the lost? Live ready to meet the King!

4 comments:

Beth Quick said...

Three interesting parables here. I just preached on Sheep and Goats on Sunday, and talked about how we actually have to interact with people to follow this parable's message! Be in relationships!

The parable of the talents - the ending - that all who have, more will be given, and those who have little, even that will be taken away. I think those are hard words to understand, though with the parable they make more sense.

Pastor Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pastor Bill said...

One of my very good friends disliked this parable and the parable of the workers that come late to the vineyard and yet are paid the same, that he almost left our church.

He finally came to an uneasy truce with them by seeking them for a balance of grace and work, our resposibility and God's sovereignty. Deep, hard work indeed.

Marshall Bailey said...

What a great few verses. Jesus tells some great parables, doesn't he? The whole thing with the 10 virgins is really interesting - I bet those people had really worked hard to prepare for the coming of the Lord, but missed the "minor" detail of actually being ready - reminds me of our lives, we prepare for everything tomorrow, but how prepared are we for the "minor" detail of really knowing Christ? We really need to keep these things in mind - I don't want the door to be closed and be locked out! Can you imagine?
I feel bad for the people who never get the chance to share their faith - they don't invest it at all, they just bury it and never use it for anything. That's a faith that is truly boring, and will surely die! A faith surely needs an output.
I can relate to reaching out to the least, and finding Jesus. It sure seems like reaching out to the least feels better than it does when you reach out to yourself all the time....God knows what he is saying when he gives us suggestions for our lives...I want to do more of it because it is huge. Why not? We're SO blessed, wouldn't you say? The world, especially in other places, is in tough shape. I bet you had some great eye-opening experiences in Africa, right Bill?
Talk to you soon!
Marshall