Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Matthew 18

In the midst of all of this heady stuff -- the teaching and miracles, the transfiguration and the squabbles with the Pharisees, the disciples begin to wonder where they stand in the power structure of the Kingdom. Make a note; if you ask this question there is a good chance you are going to be disappointed. Asking this question implies a certain carnality that is foreign in the kingdom where servants rule and rulers serve.

Jesus places a little child in their midst and says, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. "If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were fastened around your neck and you were drowned in the depth of the sea." Matthew 18:3-6 NRSV. What traits does a little child have that are desirable for Kingdom living? Innocence, vulnerability, curiosity, wonder, and faith may be a few. Whatever it is we leave behind when we become adults, I wonder how we go about retrieving it?

It is interesting to me that directions for conflict resolution within the church is discussed here. it seems out of place, like it might better be placed in one of Paul's letters. The advice is excellent, of course, and if these steps were followed our congregations would be healthier places!

In the midst of this, Peter speaks up and asks if we should forgive those who offend us 7 times. This seemed to Peter (and to me) like a huge sacrifice and inconvenience. Imagine forgiving the same person the same offense 7 times in a row! I shake my head along side Peter when Jesus responds, "Not seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times." Matthew 18:22 NRSV.

Jesus closes this interaction with a parable about an unforgiving servant, who after being forgiven by the King holds his fellow servant in debt for a fraction of what he himself has been forgiven. Unfortunately this sounds like me far too often. I must remember my deep need of grace so I might be more inclined to offer it to others!

2 comments:

Beth Quick said...

Jesus basically says, "Forgive, or else." I relate to Peter's question. We're always asking: what's the least we can do, the least we can 'get away with' and still be ok with God. And Jesus asks us to ask what's the most we can do!

Marshall Bailey said...

We often talk about how different it was when we were kids - how we miss the worry-free life that we had when we were kids. Those were the days, weren't they? It's great to see in working with high schoolers how much changes in just a few years - after all, I have to find a "real job" really soon. Most of them don't worry about a job at all. I think I understand that I am not high up in the kingdom, but I can see how Jesus' 12 would think they were pretty high up - I mean they were the men who followed him wherever he went, like his right-hand men!
I like the traits you listed a lot - innocence, vulnerability, curiosity, wonder, and faith. Once we lose all of those, what's the point? Faith like a child would certainly be better than what most adults call their faith!
By saying 77 times, Jesus is basically saying that we should always forgive and forgive, and never stop, just as he will for us, right? I mean, we shouldn't count to 77 for pete's sake. :-P
That last parable is interesting. We've all worried a lot about others, even though we know we have been forgiven for the same things in the past. Just because we have made good on our past, doesn't mean we're handed the torch or righteousness and the ability to judge.
You'd think that'd be easy to grasp, right?
haha :-P
ttys, Marsh