Thursday, October 30, 2008

Colossians 2

In this chapter, Paul continues to encourage the people of Colossae to remain true to the orthodoxy of faith in Christ. He continues to write from a very high Christology when he reminds them, “For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,” Colossians 2:9 NRSV.

Paul gives the clearest connection here between the old practice of physical circumcision and baptism when he writes, “In him also you were circumcised with a spiritual circumcision, by putting off the body of the flesh in the circumcision of Christ; when you were buried with him in baptism, you were also raised with him through faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.” Colossians 2:11-12 NRSV. This text also lends itself to the discussion about infant baptism. Just as infant males were historically circumcised, so infants were traditionally baptized.

Paul speaks about the freedom from dead rituals we now enjoy by calling us not to be taken captive, “Therefore do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food and drink or of observing festivals, new moons, or sabbaths.” Colossians 2:16 NRSV.

As Paul continues to question why we submit to human laws now that we have been set free, I have to ask myself where am I living in bondage to human regulations, and where am I inflicting rules and regulations, that are not of God? I wonder if I even know how to live free.

3 comments:

Beth Quick said...

This is a good chapter, thinking about how we get all caught up in the silliness of things required only by one another, not by God. "These are only a shadow of what is to come, but the substance belongs to Christ." We should pay more attention to the substance then!

Pastor Bill said...

I have noticed that most people - I guess unfortunately myself included - are often very willing to talk at length on other peoples sins and not willing at all to investigate our own sin. I have tried in the last several years to stop that. I do not want to put my requirements on others, but I want to Know Christ, and to see Christ in others.

Unconditional love, what a concept!

Love Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah we do get so caught up on the things of this world, and lose focus on Jesus. Why? Because it’s easier that way.
I think that it’s interesting in these verses how he talks about how we should not get caught up in traditions and rules of the things here – and how often do we do that? We need to focus on Jesus instead – because we put the things of this world to rest. Easier said than done I’m sure. I wonder if when he talks about all these rules and things in these chapters, he was talking about counteracting a law that was not exactly on the same page as the church – in fact, you couldn’t really be a Christian in most of the world in the early days of Christianity. Now, we’re able to have freedom of religion and freedom of speech – it’s a whole new world.
I think a lot about the whole not getting caught up with food and drink think, because I love food and drink…but not eating a certain thing does not change where your heart is – and I’ve seen that people sometimes seem to do it just for show, or because they have to. During lent, I try to give up something that my heart can be a part of.
The chapter ends with a pretty serious rebuttal on the rules of this world, and it really makes you think – these things will perish with us, let us freak out a little less!
Marshall