Monday, October 20, 2008

Matthew 26

This week we will complete our read through Matthew's gospel and begin reading Paul's letter to the church in Philippi. Please read, Monday - Matthew 26, Tuesday - Matthew 27 Thursday - Matthew 28, Thursday - Philippians 1, and Friday - Philippians 2.

Jesus gives us a day for this chapter when he says it is two days before the Passover. He continues to try to prepare the disciples for his suffering and death. While he is at dinner a woman comes and anoints him with valuable perfume. Jesus says that wherever the gospel is proclaimed throughout the world, her story will be retold - and so it is!

As Judas makes arrangements to betray Jesus, the disciples prepare the Passover celebration. When Jesus reveals that one of them will betray him, they do not all turn to Judas and accuse him, instead they all begin to search for reassurance that they are not the one. Jesus uses a familiar saying here when he says "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me." Matthew 26:23 NRSV. This indicated the close relation of one that shared meals and was intimate with Jesus would be his betrayer.

Jesus shares the traditional Passover meal with his disciples and adds in what we know as The Lord's Supper. I love to celebrate communion in this way. Every year our congregation celebrates the traditional Hagaddah or Seder Supper and as we draw to a close I enjoy transitioning into Communion.

After the meal they go to the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus encourages the disciples to pray while he also prays for God's will.The disciples frustrate me in that they can not seem to stay awake and intercede in this dark hour with our Lord. I wonder where I fail to keep vigil for our savior.

As Judas arrives with the soldiers to arrest Jesus we see Peter strike out with a sword to defend Jesus. I see Peters bravado and can only imagine his confusion when Jesus rebukes him and then heals the wounded man! These moments must have been horrible for all of the disciples - Judas included - and for Jesus as he watches them scatter.

The trial and denial of Jesus by Peter follows in a mercifully quick retelling of this horrible passion. It has such a devastating effect on me every time I read it, and I feel so helpless. I wonder where I would have been had I been alive and traveling with Jesus on that night. When the time for betrayal came, would I have whispered, "Is it I, Lord?"

4 comments:

Abed-melech said...

Am I the only person to continue this beautiful adventure through the Bible? There is only one thing more exciting than seeing a soul come to Christ, and that is several come to Christ at the same time!!!! AMEN......
DeColores Pastor Bill

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Servant of the King!

Welcome home. According to my best estimates there are approximately 20 of us journeying together here from around the world, and another 40 or so that are reading but do not join us here on the web.

Thanks for your faithfulness friend!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

So much that is so hard to even comment on. Judas, Peter. Jesus ever being a step ahead of the religious leaders, even though they think they've got him where they want him.

"Surely not I, Lord?"

Marshall Bailey said...

What an emotional chapter. The woman who has faith and pours perfume on Jesus - what faith she had! Even the others around thought she was crazy because they realized that Jesus had preached about helping the poor, and just in the last chapter he had told about "what you do for the least of my brethren." I guess it's no wonder people thought Jesus really would have wanted to use the money for the poor and hungry. But - her faith has made her famous for sure - and it was definitely worthwhile for us to see that above all, we need to focus on Jesus.
I'm never happy with Judas. It says in the comments part of my Bible that the price that Judas was given for Jesus was equal to that of a slave. It wasn't a lot of money, and it certainly wasn't worth it. Silly Judas - he should have been more like the woman with the perfume!
I love the passover feast. Jesus keeps rituals, and performs new ones, despite all that he knows was going on. He didn't begin a "bucket list" or something like that, even though he knew he would be dying.
I would imagine the disciples were pretty tired - they walk everywhere and Jesus made some serious ground. Can't blame them for being tired, but seriously, in the last moments of the Lord, wouldn't you want to be with Him?
I can't imagine being Peter during this time. He thought he knew what Jesus wanted, but then when he cut the ear of the man off, Jesus was like no it's okay man, it's not his fault... Peter was probably like - "DUDE, this man is going to have you KILLED, are you CRAZY!?
Then he rebukes Jesus, just as Jesus had predicted. (doesn't it make you feel horrible when you do the wrong thing when you told someone there was no way you would?!). So many emotions. I cry for Peter too...
Lord, Help me to stay awake, and always put you first!
ttys everyone,
Marsh