Monday, March 17, 2008

John 16

Our readings for Holy week are : Monday - John 16, Tuesday - John 17, Wednesday - John 18, Thursday - John 19, Friday - John 20.

Jesus' final words with his disciples continue just before his time of prayer in the garden, his arrest, trial and crucifixion. He warns the disciples that a time will come when they will be persecuted for their faith in him.

He acknowledges their deep sorrow at his leaving, but tells them that he must go so the promised Holy Spirit might be sent to the church. Jesus reassures them that the intimacy they have enjoyed will actually increase, and their relationship with God will deepen. I have been fascinated by the Holy Spirit and the intimacy that Holy Spirit affords us with God since I was a teenager. Some of the most frustrating years of my life were the years I believed in God, loved Jesus, and did not know the Holy Spirit was here to teach and empower me.

How can we be in ministry without the anointing and unction of this Holy Spirit? For me, it is like driving a car with no gas, using the toaster without plugging it in.

This Holy Week I am sorting through my busy schedule trying to discern what stays and what goes. I have over-booked myself and there is little or no margin left in my days. I'd appreciate your prayers as I try to decide how to best spend the limited resource of my days.

7 comments:

Darlynne said...

Jesus tells the disciples that it is better for then if he goes to heaven and sends the Holy Spirit to live within us. That is better than having Jesus physically with us. Wow! During this Holy week, we want to remember that if Jesus hadn't gone to heaven and sent the Holy spirit the story would not have been complete.
Pastor, we appreciate your faithfulness in leading us through these scripture readings and writing these blogs. We read them daily. It helps keep us focused and accountable. I know there are more readers than bloggers. Thanks for all you do,Scott

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your encouragement! I have been blessed by this process in ways I can't begin to explain. I really didn't know how much fun and how important a program like this would be. Sometimes I wish I had started this years ago and then I realize that this is the correct time for this project.

We are almost 1/4 of the way through the year, so we are almost 1/4 of the way through the New Testament!

Thanks again for your friendship and encouragement!

Bill

mw said...

I would guess that many sermons can and have been preached concerning the scattering of the disciples.

For some reason, as I read this again, I wondered if a lesson was once again in the process.

The disciples would scatter, yet Jesus said He would not be alone, since He had His Father in Heaven.

Could this be a stronghold for when the world would prosecute the disciples?

So they would remember that no matter what happened, our Father would always be with them?

Just a thought.

Pastor Bill said...

Absolutely Mark, and Holy Spirit will give you words when you are brought before kings and authorities. We are never alone when God is in us!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

It's really interesting how this starts out: The time will come when someone will think they are offering a service to God if they killed you. I'm really glad most people I hang around don't feel that way about me. Those disciples, they were certainly troopers to hear that kind of news and still hold on to the faith they had in Jesus.
Would it only take a miracle to have the world today feel that way?
The promise that Jesus gives in the Holy spirit is incredible. It's awesome. You're right, Bill, et. al, the holy spirit has really changed our lives for the better, and helped us through so much. I know good times/bad times would not be what they are without the spirit.
I always need to work more on my attention to the spirit. It's always there, but I'm not always focused. Life is so busy, ain't it. It's scary sometimes. I wish we could all calm down.
I'm sad that I've fallen behind on this bible study because of the business of life. Who's big idea was it to have college anyway? :-P
I'll be praying for you, Bill. The spirit already has your answer.
God Bless and Happy Easter!
MNB

Pastor Bill said...

Welcome back Marshall - we all missed your input!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

I agree with Marshall - the interesting start to the chapter about people thinking they are offering worship to God in doing certain things. It's a reminder to me of the different places we can come from and still view ourselves as doing what God wants. Listening carefully for the voice of God becomes so critical then, and God's spirit within you.

I wonder that the disciples say Jesus is finally talking plainly. I don't blame them for being confused. Our hindsight of Jesus' words still leaves us confused sometimes, even with our after-the-fact perspective!