Thursday, March 27, 2008

1 John 3

What a lovely way to start the day -- "See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are." 1 John 3:1a NRSV. I needed to be reminded of that today. I suppose I need to be reminded of that every day. I am a child of God! God calls me friend! I am forgiven! All of this is a gift from God and can not be negotiated away or taken away by the world, because that is what I am.

It seems to me that I sometimes forget to live from the inside out and end up living from the outside in. In other words, instead of living from the core of my being - a saved, claimed, named child of God, I often live out of the situations in which I find myself. This is when my behavior is marginal and the outcome is up for grabs. Anything might happen when I live out of the situation.

But if I live from the core of faith, I live out of love. I believe this is what John is saying to me here. If we live out from the depth of our souls, out of the heart of our salvation we will love and give and attract the lost to salvation. "And this is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. All who obey his commandments abide in him, and he abides in them. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit that he has given us." 1 John 3:23 & 24 NRSV.

3 comments:

mw said...

"But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?" NKJV

I have to admit, I was put in an awkward position in this area twice this week.

I came through, and did the work the Lord would want me to do, but it was not easy for me financially.

I asked for forgiveness afterwards, and pray that in the future I gladly and cheerfully help my brothers in need immediately - instead of weighing the cost to me.

"He who has pity on the poor lends to the LORD, And He will pay back what he has given." Proverbs 17 (NKJV)

Thank you for your lessons, Lord.

May I learn them faster!

Pastor Bill said...

hi Mark,

We grow in faith and discernment. I find it hard - impossible - to set hard and fast rules about when or maybe better how to help all the folks that reach out. i pray that I reach out to them as I would to Jesus. Sometimes I ask myself where my compassion is when I stiffen. Lord Help Me!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, that is amazing. We're children of God just the same way as I'm a children of my parents, but better! What a blessing and promise that is. He'd do anything for us, and he already has!
It's so easy to say, "Love them Like Jesus." Jesus tells us to love, again and again and again. We know it's what we're supposed to be doing. Here, in first John, the commandment comes up again. We really need to do it. Sometimes, I'm really compelled by this idea and show my Christian love in many ways. Other times, I'm more selective in who I really "love like he loved us." But, if that's what I think I'm doing, I'm not really loving as he would. He loved all, no limit, no class, no distinctions at all. I wish I could say the same for me. I'm working on it Lord, and your will be done through me!
God Bless,
Marsh