Wednesday, March 12, 2008

John 13

Perhaps (I know, but I can't help myself) my favorite chapter in the Bible. Jesus has gathered in an Upper Room with the 12 disciples that he has journeyed most intimately with for the 3 years of his earthly ministry. It is the passover - the high point of the Jewish year. It is Jesus' last passover that will culminate with his crucifixion and resurrection!

As they gather for this final passover meal, Jesus is not done teaching and showing his love to these men. Before the meal he takes a servants towel and a basin and begins to wash his disciples feet. Peter can not see himself allowing Jesus to act as his servant and he boldly refuses. Jesus responds that unless Peter submits to this gift of servanthood then Peter will have no part of him! Peter responds to this idea as you or I might have, "Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!" John 13:9 NRSV

After Jesus has finished this act of servanthood he teaches the disciples that they also must be servant leaders. You and I also must follow this example of our savior and wash each others feet - be servants for each other! The best leaders I have ever followed knew this and modelled it for those they led. When a leader is selfless and shows this kind of love, it is hard not to offer them your very best!

Jesus now expresses his humanity as he reveals to his disciples that one of them would betray him. It has always fascinated me that the 11 disciples DO NOT turn as one and point at Judas and accuse him. Our historic perspective and that of the writers of the gospels point out Judas' flaws, but apparently he did not stand out to the others. John's account says that they looked at each other uncertain of who it might be. The other gospel writers have them questioning "It's not me, is it Lord?" Each of these disciples and likely each of us have found ourselves as the one that betrays Jesus, denies his Lordship in our lives. I would have looked at the floor and mumbled along with the rest - how about you?

Jesus deepest desire for these disciples and for you and for me is in the "new commandment" that he gives them next. He says, "I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:34&35 NRSV. I believe that this commandment is still near the top of the list for our risen savior. I think he longs for us to radically, wildly, extravagantly love each other. I think this would, of all things, bless the heart of the savior. Just a quick observation, I am a sinful broken man in many ways, but oh how I love to watch my children love each other and their mother! It delights me so. Close behind is the joy I feel when the members of my church family love each other. I come to tears when I remember the extravagant servant love I have seen in our congregation! I can only imagine that it must be a glimpse of the heart of our Lord.

Finally, Peter's denial is foretold. It breaks my heart when I picture the Big Fisherman and his look of disbelief in the safety of this Upper Room moment, or the horror on his face in the courtyard as the rooster crows. Lord, save me from denying or betraying you.

7 comments:

mw said...

Nice post, Pastor - or should I say sermon! I could hear you talk like that all day.

I have literally cried many times imagining Jesus washing my feet - I am nowhere near worthy in my eyes, but in His I am most worthy.

This is one of the most touching chapters in the bible to me.

I wonder...did Jesus give them the new commandment to love just before He was to be crucified so it would be fresh in their minds amidst all the confusion to come?

It's interesting to note that He gave this commandment right after being nice and loving to the traitor Judas - what better example could be given.

(I remember beating kids up in school for MUCH less than what Judas did)

I have a couple of questions concerning Satan and Judas.

The NKJV says in verse 2, "And supper being ended,[a] the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him..."

And then in verse 27, "Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him..."

1. Is there a significance in the term devil in the first verse and Satan in the second one?

2. In verse 2, the devil had influenced, hardened, suggested or convinced Judas to do it, but if I am reading this correctly, Satan actually enters Judas after Jesus identified him as the traitor?

3. Would he enter him to make sure he carried it out? Was it to prevent Judas from thinking on his own and possibly repenting?

4. Or did Satan simply want ALL the credit for what he believed would be the downfall of Jesus?

I understand it was critical for us that it was Satan himself that Jesus defeated, and not Satan's demons.

He gave us all victory over Satan...which praise the Lord includes his demons, rulers and imps.

I am just curious about how it unfolded.

Thank you for your guidance and teaching, Pastor.

May God continue to bless you and yours.

Abed-melech said...

OK......Hope everyone is well and in Christ today....I read this chapter and had a question that my study bible did not explain [again]. In verse 20 Jesus tells His disciples "I tell you the truth, anyone who welcomes my messenger is welcoming me, and anyone who welcomes me is welcoming the Father who sent me." I believe here Jesus is talking about the Holy Spirit. This would give His disciples the first thought about the Holy Spirit. TRUE?

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Mark,

The Devil in vs 2 is actually the Greek word that means "accuser" and the word Satan is actually a borrowed Hebrew word transliterated into Greek also meaning "accuser". Just a different word I think for the same accuser.

The most truthful answer I can give you about your questions about Judas is "I don't really know." Judas is a confusing character, and whenever I read about Satan entering someone or their heart being hardened it takes me up against the doctrine of free will and I get confused.

Free must always be read as hanging in tension with God's sovereignty. They are the other side of the same theological coin. Perhaps in these few crucial places God suspends the gift of free will and acts sovereignly, or perhaps the words written are the best understanding and inspiration that John could muster of an unknowable situation. As I said, I don't know!

Please, please, please, don't let my ignorance or lack of a final answer discourage you from asking. I am oddly OK with not knowing everything about God - God is other than me and to know all of God would blow my circuits, but it is important for us to question and wrestle with thee things even if we'll not KNOW until the Kingdom.

Bill

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Servant of the King,

Good read - it always seemed to me that 20 should follow 17, but it doesn't!

It makes sense in a trinitarian context to see Jesus referring to Holy Spirit here, but I always thought he was giving his blessing to the disciples (then and now!).

I really love this Bible Study - thanks for walking with me folks.

Bill

Beth Quick said...

Hey Uncle Bill - nice post (or sermonette, as mw says, and as I always would call it when my mom would give little snippets of wisdom)...

I too am intrigued by Judas, and have been for years. The other texts (Matthew/Luke maybe?) reference Judas repenting - the same word that's used other times when people repent, although the translation usually says remorse or something like that. I struggle with how Judas seems 'doomed' to betray Jesus. If he had to do so for Jesus to be handed over, how can he be held accountable? Did he repent? Act against his will? Succumb to the ultimate evil? That's the struggle I have - but I guess, like you, I have to say - I don't know!

I also think it is interesting that Jesus says to love one another is a "new" commandment. It's a deepening/expanding of already present commandments too.

Jesus says his disciples are known by their love. I wonder if that is what I'm known by. That's my aim, anyway. To be known by my love of others. But it's a work in progress ;)

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Beth!

I do get "preachy" sometimes!

I know about your interest in Judas and honestly your interest has helped me to take a more thorough look at Judas because I am inerested in you!

I always have to fall back to my default settings on God when I get confused, and so when I consider Judas I fall back to God being gracious and just and loving. With these things in mind, it doesn't make sense to me to "damn" someone for what they were programmed to do - on the otherhand, fore-knowledge by God doesn't necessarily mean God fore-ordained a behavior - just that God knew. I am always driven back to entrusting Judas (and ultimately everyone else - myself included!) to God's grace.

Finally, are we known by our love? I hope so, but from what I hear and what I read we are known more for our rules and our infighting. The media is relentless in publicizing our pettiness and brokenness and leaving our love unreported for the most part. I can only try today to be more loving.

Love you Beth!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

hmm - wow. Be known for your love. I've known people like that. We always think of like Mother Teresa, Ghandi, etc. But I think of teachers, pastors, youth leaders, and counselors that I remember for being loving. What a great thing to be remembered for.
At Aldersgate, Joy and Ryan took us (the staff) into the woods and washed our feet prior to the kids coming to camp. It showed how much they cared about us, and how they wanted to be a servant for us just as we were serving the Lord. It was an incredible way to start the summer-I'll never forget it.
Jesus cleanses us in this way all the time. I think that's the thing that Peter "did not realize now."
About Judas, I think it's interesting that even after he said the man who he gave the bread to would be the person, basically giving Judas away as the betrayer, the other disciples struggled to see it, and wondered what he was asking of Judas - "maybe buying more things for the feast..." wow! As you said, maybe it was easier for us to see it as we read the gospels than it was for these disciples who lived with him.
I imagine being Peter. I've said before that I'd lay down my life for Jesus, but I can't imagine being told to my face that I wouldn't do it. I think of how I've made that commitment to Sara in our life, but it would certainly be scary if I ever were tested. These things are very difficult. Poor Peter though, he really wanted to do everything he could to Love Jesus, and yet he inevitably had to betray Jesus. Does it have to be inevitable in our lives?
I love Jesus. He's changed my life, again and again!
God bless, all!
Marshall