Thursday, March 13, 2008

John 14

As I was saying, my favorite chapter in the Bible. Actually, John 14 has probably brought me more comfort in the face of the earthly death of people I have loved than anything else - even Romans 8!

The first three verses are words of Jesus that I long to speak at every funeral, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling-places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:1-3 NRSV Reading it again here I can feel the tension leave my shoulders. Thanks Lord for this gift that has carried me through some of my saddest troubling moments. Thanks. How cool is it to hear Jesus say he's building us a house just down the street from his because he loves us?!?!

Verse 15 hurts - "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." I can't help with my Western wired brain to hear it say conversely that if I don't keep the commandments I must not love God.

More good news! "I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you." John 14:18 NRSV

I could write pages and pages here, but I will conclude with a personal note. 10 years ago this August when my Dad died, these scriptures took on a whole new importance for me. I performed my Dad's funeral service and I read these words in the moments of my deepest grief to my Mom and my sisters and brother and our family and friends. I think over the week or two that followed I read this chapter a dozen times a day. They were like a life raft for my broken heart. As I sit here today reading them again, I think of my Dad, and so many saints from this church and this village that I love that I have stood over to proclaim life in the face of death. All I can think to say again is, "Thanks Lord. Thank-you so much. This makes all the difference for me."

PS - I do love you, even when I mess up.

7 comments:

Debby said...

Pastor Bill-

This is such a comforting chapter to read. I really don't know how anyone can get through losing anyone if they haven't heard these words, to know that our Savior prepares a room for each of us...what an amazing love, what a comfort during an awfully painful time. Losing my mom was very, very hard, her final spoken words were "I want to go home" as she looked at the painting of Jesus on the living room wall. To read this chapter reminds me that death is not the end.

Thank you Jesus!

Pastor Bill said...

AMen Debby,

It is hard enough to go through the death of our loved ones with faith, without Jesus I don't even want to think about it.

What a blessing your Mom was and is - even in the struggle she was surrounded and held up by the love of God and the love of her family.

Bill

Abed-melech said...

Hello to all my brothers & sisters in Christ,
Today I was reading a profile on John and one particular line stood out to me [maybe two] this is the way we should all live our lives. Jesus knew John fully and loved him fully. Jesus confronts each of us as He confronted John. "We cannot know the depth of Jesus' love unless we are willing to face the fact that He knows us completely." Otherwise we are fooled into beliving He must love the people we pretend to be, not the sinners we actually are.

De Colores

Pastor Bill said...

Hey A-M!

If you want to read a good book on this topic read "Messy Spirituality" by Mike Yaconelli.

It is his thesis that God must like messy people - God always loves and hangs out with them!

Bill

mw said...

"...In My Father’s house are many mansions..." (NKJV)

This was one of my sources of strength as I grew up. Every time Satan made me feel less worthy than other Christians, I fell back to this verse.

I just knew that we were all different, had different callings, and were going to be judged on OUR actions alone - not compared to others.

It was a foundation to build on as I learned more about our Lord and Saviour.

Praise God for His grace!

Marshall Bailey said...

What an amazing chapter. I should read this to my mom when she grieves about my grandpa. It was/is really hard for her.
It's really great to go through these sections during Easter Time, so that I can actually realize/appreciate the season we are celebrating.
I wanted to point out a few verses that I really loved as I was reading this chapter also (yours stuck out to me also, Bill). During this chapter, so many verses were like, Yeah! that's what I want for my life, and WOW, that's how it's supposed to be put!
In verses 9-13, it really helps clarify the fact that Jesus was God in the flesh, and the words he used were actually the Father speaking. People, even those who have been studying Christianity most of their lives, have trouble understanding this concept. Next time I have someone like this, I'll send them to this verse (or others).
Verse 14 is awesome: "You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." That Jesus, he sure knows how to make you feel confident!
Verse 19: "Before long, the world will not see me, but you will see me. Because I live, you will also live." Wow, how incredible. Is that what's going on now when I tell people about Jesus and feel like I am alone? The world is not seeing God? He foretold it happening, but I bet they had more trouble believing him back then than I do now.
Verse 26 tells that the Holy Spirit is coming to help us remember Jesus, and to help us live our lives the right way. What a promise! That came true too, which is especially impressive in the beginning of Acts. Jesus has laid the groundwork as he finishes these verses to his disciples, and we can really learn so much from them.
Can you imagine sitting at the table at the last supper? I'd want to ask Jesus questions, but I wouldn't dare raise my hand while he was saying so many profound and life-changing words. Amen, Praise God!
God bless, and Happy Easter, all!
Marshall Neil

Beth Quick said...

I also think the verse about not being left orphaned is just so powerful - when I use it in funerals, I can just see people listen extra carefully on hearing that verse, especially children who've just lost a parent.

Did you go to the Order of Elders event on this chapter?? Wish I could have - heard it was good.

I too hear the reverse - if we don't follow commands, we don't love. If we don't find we have what we ask for, we don't really believe. I don't know if that's what I read into it, or what Jesus intended us to layer onto it. But it certainly causes some reflection!