Friday, March 14, 2008

John 15

Now, we turn to one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. Sorry. I know you're probably getting tired of that opening, but really, can it get much better that John 15???? Jesus is spending his last moments with his disciples and he is downloading some terribly important heart information to them and thanks to John and Holy Spirit to us.

If I had to pick out one concept to sum up chapter 15, one word to point to it would be abide. Jesus starts with an allegory about the vine and the branches - easy to remember "Jesus is divine and we are dibranches..." He speaks of the need for us to stay connected to him - to abide in him in order to stay connected to the source of all good things. He reminds us that apart from him we can do nothing.

The pruning spoken of in vs 2 is interesting to me. I lived for 3 years in the Finger Lakes region of New York State and pastored 2 churches there in vineyard country. The pruning process fascinated me and I asked a million questions, mostly motivated by these verses. The drastic pruning that takes place in the winter is startling. A huge percentage of the vine is cut away while the plant is dead to prepare for the new life to come in spring. Once the new growth begins to come the next pruning is called "suckering". Usually only the primary bud is left on the vie, the secondary and tertiary buds are removed so that all of the energy from the vine can go to that primary bud. The other buds removed were not bad or "un grape" but they are removed in order to focus all of the energy into the primary fruit. This is a good lesson for us friends. I often get so busy doing good things that I have little "juice" left for the BEST things.

Jesus then calls us again to love each other. In his passion, as he prepares to go to the garden and trial and to the cross he wants to remind us to love each other again and again. I think we need to remember that when all else is stripped away it is love that matters. In the taped messages left by the passengers on the doomed planes from the 911 tragedy the same recurring theme was heard. They called and left messages, or spoke to family and said "I love you!" I need to remember that everyday. "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends." John 15:12 & 13 NRSV

In the balance of chapter 15 Jesus warns the disciples that they will be hated and persecuted just as he was hated and persecuted. I often wonder about this in my life. I can not think of an area in my life where I am persecuted. Sometimes I am treated unfairly and discounted in situations, but oddly that is within my denomination by other believers - not by nonchristians. How about you, are you enduring persecution for your faith? What form does this persecution take and how can the congregation of faith help you endure? Perhaps that is another reason that Jesus calls us to abide in him. Stay connected!

6 comments:

mw said...

"dibranches" - have I told you I love you lately?

As I read and learn more about this pruning process, I have come to understand some of the "trials" I have gone through.

As my earthly reactions come to light, I am shown which areas I need to work on and improve in my life.

Everything is great when everything is great...but the pruning and learning part comes when things don't go my way and I learn to accept it, learn from it and come out stronger by burying myself in the Word.

This pruning process has hurt at times, but once the pruning was done, the pain went away and I was better able to handle the situation next time it showed itself.

Every time I go through the pruning process, another door is closed to Satan - he can't enter that area of my life anymore.

Praise God!

Pastor Bill said...

The pruning process is tough. Perhaps thatis why the Bible reminds us that, "He disciplines those whom he loves." It is because of God's great love that God grows us up!

When I look at the pruning and tuning as an act of God's love it is easier to thank God for!

Bill

Crystal said...

Pruning is never easy and is sometimes very painful but is a necessary part of our 'growing up', isn't it? But I never looked at it as closing another door on Satan! I love that! Maybe it will making the pruning process easier for us if we focus on the good that comes from it........ just wish I could remember that all the time! Keep reminding me, huh? Thanks for sharing such great insights!

Marshall Bailey said...

This is a great chapter Bill - they all are. That's why this book's THE best seller :-).
It is wonderful to think of all the branches working together. We're doing that as we spread our faith into the world. I'm here, you're there, and the other people are there, there, and over there. In all these places, Jesus' love is being spread, but we need each other, with God's solid foundation to prosper. Most of all, we need to love each other. Amen to that.
The interesting thing about pruning is that it's never finished, and the new product is usually better than the prior. That's how it goes in our life too, isn't it? When we re-prune, we often do better than we have in the past, and find ourselves in spiritual bliss. It's too bad we couldn't just prune once and add some weed killer so we could just always be strong, committed, and have the right mindset. God helps us to persevere through our struggles. Thank goodness!
I've suffered a little for my faith, just in the sense that it's hard to live my beliefs and be a college student and a typical citizen. People think I'm crazy, and they try to tell me how much I'm missing out. I've had to give up many "social" opportunities because of this. I am sure glad though, I'll suffer for Jesus. He's got me right where he wants me, and I can always use my "different" lifestyle to start a conversation.

Love one another. Must be important cause he says it a few times.
God bless, everyone, and Happy Easter!
In Him,
MNB

Pastor Bill said...

Amen Marshall!

Keep up your testimony - others are watching, some hoping you'll crash but many are praying for you. I am one of those praying for you friend!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

vs. 21-23 - These are like Jesus telling the Pharisees in ch. 9 that they're now responsible for their actions because they claim they can see and are not blind. The more we know and still refuse to act, the more responsible we are for our failure to act. I think sometimes we see that as unfair, but there is responsibility with knowledge/experience...

I love the 'abide' language - literally "to be at home" - God is telling us to make ourselves at home in God, and wishes us to return the favor for God in us..

I remember Bishop Huie preaching on this text at GC in 2000 - she reminded us with this imagery: "branches don't cut off other branches". I've always remembered that. Pruning, yes. But God is the one pruning. We don't prune one another off the vine.