Monday, November 17, 2008

Titus 2

In the second chapter, Paul continues to give Titus instructions to share with the different people groups in the church in Crete. His advice, taken as a whole, is good counsel for all of us today. The cultural differences between men and women has changed, but the need to encourage people to be "temperate, serious, prudent, and sound in faith, in love, and in endurance," "reverent in behavior, not to be slanderers or slaves to drink; they are to teach what is good," "love their husbands, to love their children, to be self-controlled, chaste, good managers of the household, kind,". Titus 2 selected verses NRSV, has not changed.

Paul encourages slaves to be submissive and hard workers acting in this way as "ornaments to the doctrine of God our savior". I understand the call Paul makes as centered in his view of eschatology and grace, but I do not like it. I can not imagine encouraging a person to "be a good slave". Perhaps I need to focus on Paul calling people to be a good witness in whatever various conditions they find themselves in.

Paul's only focus is the soon coming Kingdom of God. All else, including his own safety and comfort are of little concern to Paul. I am far too concerned with comfort and justice I suppose and preoccupied with carnal things. Lord, help me to have a heart and eye for your Kingdom and your designs and not simply my own comfort.

2 comments:

Beth Quick said...

It is a hard chapter to read, even knowing Paul's perspective of a quick end times, especially the part about slaves being good slaves. But I guess in the context of everything we know he says/does re: slaves and masters, it can make it a bit easier. I wonder what Paul would have said differently if he had not so surely anticipated a quicker return of Christ?

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah, an interesting chapter. I guess it may have been hard for even him to see the slavery as something that just shouldn't be/couldn't be happening, because it was so common back then? I can't say that it's right, but how can Paul possibly speak out against everything that is going on in the time period. For that reason, maybe he was just encouraging the slaves to be good at what they are doing, because if God is coming tomorrow, there's not really enough time to have a revolution - just be good at what you are for now, the rest will be taken care of when God comes! (You're right, it still seems so weird to think about saying those things about slaves...)
I couldn't help but read the first few verses without thinking about Sara's parents. Not to say that they're old, they're just older than I am, yet they're doing most of these things that Paul asks of them as members of the church and as Christians. It's great to see that example in my in-laws, and it's great to see them when I read what Paul was requesting.
Paul did have a different feel about everything because of his emphasis on Jesus coming back SOON. Why aren't we? We certainly won't know when he is coming until it happens - no "weather man" to help us out...
God's Blessings,
Marshall